Newbie Help Request: Converting kit from Kettle Souring to Co-Souring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Designtime

Reaction score
I am brand new at brewing, so far I have only made ciders at home. I want to to try the Duchess de Bourgogne clone from Northern Brewing. The instructions
HeiressDeBourgogne-1584563851927.pdf (shopify.com)
call for Kettle souring. After reading the Fast Souring - Modern Methods I was interested in trying co-souring. Are there any tips on how I might adjust the steps to do this kit?

Thanks!

Step 1-3
Step 4 - make the temp 75.
Step 5 - skip
Step 9-12
Step 13 - add the Lacto with your yeast
Step 14-16
Step 6
Step 7 - Change this to make a hop tea with the 1 oz of EKG and add the tea to the fermenter.
Step 17-25

Since it’s a Flanders Red, you could also do an optional step to add a very tiny amount of a good quality vinegar in step 22 to add complexity. Try a few Flanders Reds to see if you like that character. If you like kombucha, then you might like this addition. If you take this option, stop the souring (Step 7) a little before it’s sour enough for you.

Wow, Funky Frank That is an super clear and complete! I appreciate you taking the time help me out. My time in this community is off to a great start.
I am ordering the kit today, I will definitely report back on how it goes.

I am afraid I am a slacker. I just ordered the kit yesterday. I have been aging a cider in my conical that I am going to keg this weekend. I promise to update when I get myself moving.

It's all good was just curious. I think this is going to be the next thing I put in my pipeline. Except ill go with morebeers kit most likely since I already have lacto on hand. Maybe do some Brett too. Hope yours works out!

Back