Newbie help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikkiric

Reaction score
Hi

I started my first brew on the 6th December, using the Tom Caxton Real Ale Kit. I used 1kg of enhancer and half the sachet of hops. Placed the fermentor in the spare room near the radiator. Airlock bubbled away lovely for a few days then stopped. Have read a lot on here and most seem to recommend leaving for 2-3 weeks before racking to secondary vessel or bottling.
Its now been 2.5 weeks so guess I should be thinking about the next stage.
I haven't take a reading with the hydrometer as I'm not sure what to do with it also I didn't take a reading at the beginning. Should I take readings over the next couple of days or bottle?

Can I bottle straight from the fermentor?

What's the best way of adding the sugar, directly into the bottles (500ml bottles)?

I look forward to your replies regarding the above, and any other advice you can give me.

Thanks

Vikki

Hi
most seem to recommend leaving for 2-3 weeks before racking to secondary vessel or bottling.

To secondary or not to secondary is really a personal preference unless dry hopping. That said, my recommendation would be to let it go 4 weeks in the primary, then bottle.

I haven't take a reading with the hydrometer as I'm not sure what to do with it also I didn't take a reading at the beginning. Should I take readings over the next couple of days or bottle?

Generally speaking, you will want to take a hydrometer reading prior to pitching the yeast and then again before secondary or bottling. Using the two numbers you can determine if fermentation is complete and calculate your ABV. I'm assuming you're using an extract kit. If that's the case and you followed the instructions, you can assume that you hit the OG number specified by the kit since you didn't measure. The kit should also tell you your expected final gravity. Sanitize your hydrometer, and before racking to your bottling bucket. Put the hydrometer into the fermentor and read the result. It should match or be very close to the final gravity outlined in your instructions.

Can I bottle straight from the fermentor?

Generally you'll bottle from a bottling bucket that has a spigot to attach a bottling wand.

What's the best way of adding the sugar, directly into the bottles (500ml bottles)?

You'll want to boil about a cup of water and dissolve the bottling sugar into the water. Cool it down to room temp, and add it to your bottling bucket before racking the beer on top.

+1 on what "neovox" said. I usually primary only 4weeks. take a hydrometer reading at 3 weeks just to make sure the brew has finished. the extra week is for yeast clean up and clearing of the beer before bottling. I would recomend a gentle stir of the primed brew (in the bucket) before begining to bottle and again half way though the job. You will have 2 or more weeks to carb at 70* and a week or two in the fridge before enjoying your brew. Time makes better beer. Cheers and enjoy.

Latest posts

Back