Newbie Canadian Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jevehn

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been lurking around here for the last 2 months, and I think it's finally time I put up a post or two. I'm located in Edmonton, AB, Canada. I've got a small setup in my basement for the bulk of the work, and my trusty stove for all the hot stuff. Definately still a newb, but I'm enjoying the hobby!

You can get coopers kits around here, and brew house kits, which look a little better. DME is brutally expensive at all of my LHBS, so partial mash isn't looking like a great option. Hoping to go all grain at some point... probably next summer. Having some trouble finding equipment for a good price, but I'm sure I'll find what I need enventually.

Currently brewing a batch of Apelwein, and I've got a starter going for an octoberfest kit I've got on deck. I must say that I was a little shaky at first, but now that I've got something fermenting, I'm getting excited! Kinda wondering what I've gotten myself into :ban:

Cheers!
:mug:

I started with cooper's kits about 10 months ago, 14 batches later im now into all grain. It's a fun hobby dude. Once you are hooked, there is no looking back.

One of the challenges I've had is deciding whether to brew 23 litre batches or 5 us gallon batches. Currently doing the 5 us gallon batches.

If the lhbs is too expensive, try find an online supplier, might end up being cheaper.

Canucks will beat the oilers this sunday.

Welcome fellow Canuck! :mug:

I make 23L batches myself. When I bottle that's more bottles and when I keg, that's still more bottles because I'm not going to let that beer go to waste. :D

Hey! Welcome to HB, jevehn! If you want to get into Extract and fresh hops brewing, look to order from my favourite LHBS, Dan's Homebrewing in Vancouver. He will ship to Alberta, and he knows his stuff. He has everything you need, including all grain once the hobby becomes an obsession. Highly recommended.

Those Brewhouse kits are fantastic. Do a good job with them, and they can easily be as good as all grain brews.

And be sure to check out the Edmonton Homebrewers Guild, if you haven't already. They are a great club.

http://www.ehg.ca

I'm from Edmonton too, best place to go in town is Winning Wines Plus in the Lendrum Shopping Centre (111 st & 57 ave). Nice guys, good selection for everything (kits, extract, grain, yeast, hops), and they'll lend you a grain mill.

:mug:

Back