Newbie apple farmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RileyOG

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, folks. New to the forum. We own an apple farm in Southern California and we grow a lot of heirlooms -- Roxbury Russet, Northern Spy, Newton Pippins, Maiden's Blush -- along with Granny Smith, Fuji, Rome Beauty, Senshu, etc. I've dabbled in brewing my own cider for a few years, but I'm trying to get more serious about it, in pursuit of opening a commercial cidery. You can read about our place at http://www.rileysfarm.com. My primary interest now is in back-sweetening and bottle carbonation.

I've dabbled in brewing my own cider for a few years, but I'm trying to get more serious about it, in pursuit of opening a commercial cidery.
I’m not saying don’t do it, but it seems from here as hard seltzer and related beverages have expanded, cider has been on the decline. If you can open your own tap room at your farm you may have some success, but I would also suggest making seltzer and perhaps brewing beer to offer something for everyone.

I’m not saying don’t do it, but it seems from here as hard seltzer and related beverages have expanded, cider has been on the decline. If you can open your own tap room at your farm you may have some success, but I would also suggest making seltzer and perhaps brewing beer to offer something for everyone.
We wouldn't be very large scale. All we know is that we can't keep the locally grown cider on our shelves and we charge a LOT for it.

I’m guessing you’re talking about non alcoholic apple juice? The hard cider market is even more expensive for consumers, and there is lots of competition.
But you already have a restaurant? Get your license and you could sell your cider there, if drinkers like it, they’ll ask for bottles to take home. You can go from there.

Yes, we have two restaurants on the farm. I'm talking about hard cider. A neighbor, and relative, brews hard cider. We buy it from him and we charge $22 for a 22 oz bottle and it flies..

The local orchard around here (Fishkill Farms in NY) that has good variety has a cidery. I believe it's a good business. They're a you-pick with a big store, so they focus on foot traffic.

It looks like you've got a similar situation, being a day trip from a major city. You might even try reaching out.

If you're considering new varieties, golden russet and porter's perfection both make some fantastic cider. Golden russet is tip bearing, but otherwise they're pretty easy to grown around here. I like the russet sweeter, and the porter's is good dry.

Regarding commercial back sweetening, I'd consider filtering and sorbate. At home, I like unfermentable sweeteners, but farm stand customers probably don't want "diet" cider. I'm not that familiar with commercial cider methods though.

Have you checked with your local extension? They probably even have materials to help with a business plan.

exit: I just realized you said back sweetening AND bottle carbing. As I'm sure you know, these conflict a bit. Options are pasteurization and non-fermentable sweeteners. I think most sweet sparkling cider is bottled already carbonated, similar to beer. Some people pasturize at home, but there are issues with the process as a commercial endeavor.

Last edited:
Back