Where to find data on Apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been trying to gather data such as typical SG, pH, TA, and Tannin for common types of "non-cider" apples. Unfortunately, they are what we have to work with most of the time here in Oz where "cider" apples are hard to find unless you have planted your own. Suitable trees such as Dabinett and Yarlington Mill are sometimes available but are typically small, bare rooted trees that will take some years to produce a reasonable crop.

I note that some of the smaller commercial "craft" producers tend to have a blend of things like Gala, Fuji, Golden Delicious with 30% of "Heritage English or French cider apples. This seems to work quite well.

All of this means that some clever blending is called for (a simple example is 2L of Granny Smith with a TA of 10g/L plus 3L of Red Delicious with a TA of 2.6g/L should result in 5L of juice with a TA of 5.6 g/L).

I can find good data on a few common apples and many "cider" apples. I can also measure my own when I have enough (Cox's Orange Pippin has finally matured and will have a good crop this year and the poor little Bramley's Seedling that was eaten by deer last year has survived and produced four apples!). I also recently found out that my Pomme de Neige is also known as Fameuse, which is included in Claude Jolicoeur's book as a desirable cider apple. However, there are common apples out there that I can buy such as Fuji, Gala, Pink Lady, etc that might also make worthwhile contributions if I want to head that way.

So, the question is... does anyone know of a source of relevant data for "common" apples. Dr Google seems to have good sources of data for "cider' apples but not common garden variety eating or cooking apples.

I have never seen a resource with THAT level of detail compiled in one place. Generally it is pretty safe to say that most simple eating apples have low tannin and are thus sweet (usually) or sharp (often enough), or someplace in between.

After much scratching around on the internet, I found that buried deep in Andrew Lea's cider.org.uk there are several charts that cover much of what I was looking for. Most of the information is for known cider apples plus some that I haven't heard of here in Oz. The lists include a few of the common '"eating" apples (Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Granny Smith, Pink Lady, and Fuji)

FYI the information is on the Wittenham Hill Cider Pages under "More Science", then Cider Apple Data.

Back