NewBe Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmdavis2941

Reaction score
What is the best way to transfer brew after yeast is pitched in a 6.5 gal bottling bucket? I want to put it in a carboy for primary fermentation but a little confused on the transfer. Thank you in advance for the help.

I have not started the brew yet...I will later today. Can I pour the wort into the primary, add the needed water, stir, pitch the yeast and then shake the primary? Or is there a better way? I am using a dry yeast. thank you again.

Just go straight to your carboy. Cool the wort and then transfer it to your fermenter, which sounds like you want to use a carboy. You can either transfer it cool with an autosiphon, or standard siphon, or if you have a big funnel use that. Then add your top off water and try to shake the heck out of it, THEN add your yeast and stick on your airlock and bob's your uncle.

Is it ok to have the dry yeast sit on top of the brew that is in the carboy? You don't have to stir it in? Thanks again.

That's pretty much what I do. Actually I pitch the yeast. Clean up my mess, then lift my fermenter and move it to my fermentation closet which integrates the rehydtated yeast. But you don't have to, the yeast know what they need to do...

Is it ok to have the dry yeast sit on top of the brew that is in the carboy? You don't have to stir it in? Thanks again.

Rehydrate it first! Should have directions on the packet. If not, boil a small amount of water (1/4 - 1/2 cup) and cool it to about 100'ish before rehydrating.

Back