New Yeast Strain Chart! Searchable and Sortable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay all, looking for some feedback!

I realized over the past couple of years there have been a number of new yeast labs popping up with offerings to homebrewers. Many of the current resources available online have not been updated to include the new yeast labs, and also seem to be lacking in functionality - like being able to search or compare. I am working to change that with a new chart.

The table I set up has a cool search feature to help you find the yeast you are looking for. I have sent out a request to Kristen England who provided the Data for Jamils Mr Malty tool. If I receive permission I will be able to greatly update the "Compare To" and "Origin" columns proving a more powerful search for users.

I currently have only set things up for the "Chico" Strain. But you can get an idea of how it will work by searching for Chico, or WLP001 and it should bring up all versions of that american ale yeast. Does your homebrew store only offer Wyeast? No problem enter Wyeast in the search field and you will get all their options. Need a yeast that will work at a higher temperature range? Just sort on "Optimum Temp." You get the idea

All the data was pulled directly from the yeast labs own websites. This has created some disparity in information - some sites offer attenuation in percent while others offer ranges. Some sites are greatly lacking in information. Thoughts on how to accommodate would be appreciated.

Anyways, without further ado: http://www.shegoguebrew.com/p/yeast-strains.html

Check it out and provide feedback, issues, etc here of email/contact via the blog. Thanks in advance!

I noticed you put "Conan" (AKA VPB1188) under GY044 instead of GY054.

BUT, I'm loving how this is shaking out. Much easier to reference than the multiple sources I currently use.

What do the Giga yeast * next to the attenuation mean?
So the numbers on the GigaYeast website don't seem fully accurate to me. If you look at the saison yeasts they are stated to only attenuate around 50% for high gravity beers? That just doesn't seem right to me and doesn't match up with White labs or Wyeast for their saison strains.

Direct from Gigayeast:
* Attenuation was measured after 8 days with Ale yeast at 70˚F and Lager yeast at 50˚F. Medium Gravity is 14˚ – 16˚Plato. High Gravity is 23˚- 25˚Plato.
† The working temperature range represents the range at which fermentation for a given strain produces a typical attenuation- not necessarily the ideal temperature for your particular beer style. As a rule of thumb, start ale yeast fermentation at 68˚ – 72˚F and then lower or raise temp as desired. Lager Yeast are typically fermented at 45˚ – 58˚F. If desired, Lager Yeast can be given a “hot start” at 65-68˚F and then lowered to the primary temperature after active fermentation begins (10-20hrs).
GigaYeast laboratory is still gathering data on many of our strains. Information provided here may change some in the future. Please call if you need more info.

I noticed you put "Conan" (AKA VPB1188) under GY044 instead of GY054.

BUT, I'm loving how this is shaking out. Much easier to reference than the multiple sources I currently use.

Oversight on my part :mug: Thats why I need extra eyes! I will get to updating it soon Thanks for the kind words.

Bookmarked your page. Thanks! It's nice to be able to type in something like saison and have all the strains pop up. That happens to work because the style is in the name but in general it would be cool to have a search by style.

Bookmarked your page. Thanks! It's nice to be able to type in something like saison and have all the strains pop up. That happens to work because the style is in the name but in general it would be cool to have a search by style.

Noted. The table is already rather "wide." I'm thinking the best way to accomplish this is to have the yeasts description and potential styles as an additional row that is displayed when clicking on the row, or hovering over the idea... I will have to think about the best way to implement.

Also, looks as if I missed all of the White Labs lacto and Brett strains...will need to get on that!

Still waiting on Kristen Englands response to use the data over at Mr. Malty.

I noticed no Kolsch yeasts, but I figure you're still fleshing it out.

Nice job!

They are there, but the problem is that they are all spelled differently: Kölsh, and Kölsch. When I make the compare to I can do something like: Kolsh, Kolsch, WLP029, 2565, GY021, ECY21

Which should help. Keep up that beta testing :rockin:

They are there, but the problem is that they are all spelled differently: Kölsh, and Kölsch. When I make the compare to I can do something like: Kolsh, Kolsch, WLP029, 2565, GY021, ECY21

Which should help. Keep up that beta testing :rockin:

I spotted it when I searched for 2565. Probably good that you're using all the different spellings.

This is great! I did a google for GY054, and this thread was like the third or fourth result (likely because of posts 3 and 4). Anyhow, the new yeast chart looks awesome. I hope Kristen gives permission to use the Mr Malty data. This is looking to be my new yeast bookmark.

Okay all, made some updates today!
Added: All Additional White Labs Yeasts, Blackman Dried Yeasts, The Yeast Bay (How did I miss this before?)

This is great! I did a google for GY054, and this thread was like the third or fourth result (likely because of posts 3 and 4). Anyhow, the new yeast chart looks awesome. I hope Kristen gives permission to use the Mr Malty data. This is looking to be my new yeast bookmark.

That's awesome that visibility of this thread brought you to this!

Looking for thoughts on the following:

1) More labels for type of yeast? Currently have Ale, Lager, Belgian/Wheat, and Other. Considering Splitting Other into Distill, Wine, Sour/Bugs. I don't make sour beers so how would you all like to see these broken up?

2) Row Toggle? So to address @tagz comment I have been thinking about make each row clickable to hide/show the full description and recommended styles. It would be much easier to just link one of the data cells to the yeast manufacturers website, however, that won't add to the "search-a-bility." If I add this toggle I can include description and styles. I want to do this but it will be a lot of manual entry - willing to do it since I think it will be useful though, so just be patient :)

3) Am I missing any yeast company or strain?

1) Yes, more labels for yeast would add to the search-a-bility and help the user filter their range of yeast choice. Ale, Lager, Wine, Distill, Bacteria, Brett. Save the style labels for more the style of beers they're used for: sour, belgian, wheat, etc. Or something like that.

2) Row toggle sounds useful. I guess it would start by showing a minimal listing for a yeast (basics with truncated long fields), and if you expand then you would see the full detailed description? Or, hover on a cell for full description might be cool (possibly annoying). Or, maybe some user settings on which columns to display and/or whether to view full detailed listings or basic listings. I guess this could get complex if you're not careful.

3) Wine yeast companies (lalvin, red star, scott labs, etc). I'm sure there are some small, niche, boutique yeast companies who are missing.

Do you think listing ABV tolerance is really that relevant? I prefer the white labs way of just saying low/med/high - somehow Wyeast lists chico as going to 11%, when we all know it goes higher.

http://www.shegoguebrew.com/p/yeast-strains.html

Ok, I have updated the list with Kristen's data over at MrMalty.com.

I was working on making the table rows clickable and when clicked the manufacturers description and potential styles the yeast could be used for would be displayed. I got it to work, but it then royally messed up the sorting so I removed it.

So I ask, What would be more beneficial?
1) No sorting capability, but clickable rows to reveal description and style
OR
2) Leave as is?

@stpug Thanks, I will have to incorporate that yeast bank and still plan on updating the "source" column to be more useful

Here's another yeast lab available to homebrewers (although not very well distributed just yet) (thanks to Rob at MicroBusBrewery.org for posting about it):
http://www.inisbc.com/yeast-strains.html

Search INISBC in these forums and you will see several threads about them now. I have started a few, just to start getting the word out. I have met with both of the guys who own the lab and they are awesome. They typically answer any questions you may have within 24 hrs.

Took a break for a while, but back at it. I am slowly (lots of manual coding time) updating it so the Yeast Name is a hyperlink that when you hover over displays additional information about the yeast. If you are on mobile you should be able to "double-tap" the link to get it to show up. Thed data for this is usual the manufacturer description and then possible suitable styles the yeast is good for. The data in this pop-up is part of the search feature so if you type in ESB for example the British strains will come up. Once I have all of this filled out I might incorporate the "compare to" yeast ids in a similar manner and linked to the Origin field. As the blogger template is set the data is a little too wide for the page.

Let me know if this is useful. It is one of the easier ways for me to incorporate possible styles and still have it be searchable

http://www.shegoguebrew.com/p/yeast-strains.html

You're only missing one from The Yeast Bay. It's our new Saccharomyces cerevisiae single strain, Midwestern Ale. Very well done on the chart though!

Your yeast chart has become my go-to for checking equivalent strains. Just wondering if you'll be adding the new Imperial Organic Yeast to your charts? Thanks! Keep up the good work.

Hey, yes that is the plan! I just noticed these come on the scene the past month or so. I have been pretty busy with a new puppy and I was manually coding all these entries by hand, which is a real PITA. I am going to take some time to create some code that can read all the data off of a csv file or something so I can make entries more quickly. Give it some time - next update should be a big one.

Subbed for future reference! Great job btw
Thanks, I appreciate it!

You're only missing one from The Yeast Bay. It's our new Saccharomyces cerevisiae single strain, Midwestern Ale. Very well done on the chart though!

Thanks I will make sure I incorporate this in my next update

I'm guessing the hint is.... "the midwest" :D

My guess would be Bell's, their house yeast is supposed to be special and not available from WL or WY. I don't know any other well known breweries in the Midwest with remarkable house yeasts, but it's a huge area, could be anything.

I was manually coding all these entries by hand, which is a real PITA. I am going to take some time to create some code that can read all the data off of a csv file or something so I can make entries more quickly.

Why not get a database setup with frontend entry form for yourself. It should make things much more scalable and future-proof. Shouldn't be too hard.

Why not get a database setup with frontend entry form for yourself. It should make things much more scalable and future-proof. Shouldn't be too hard.

That is definitely one way to go about it. I chose the csv route cause it gives me an easy way to maintain the data and simple "find and replace." Which is useful when I go to add the imperial brand of yeasts - I know they have a version of American ale so I will need to update all those yeast's "compare to" values. Will just be easier with a csv in excel where I can find and replace. Another reason is to get everything into the blogger format I end up having to copy and paste the table updates, so I just wrote a simple php script to grab the csv data and populate the table. Much easier all around.

I guess the csv is acting as my "database" but the coding is much more lax with php and I don't need to connect to the database and all that jazz.

Now I just need to:
1) add the descriptions and style recommendations (the info when you hover over the yeast name)
2) Add the imperial organic yeast co offerings
3) Add The Yeast Bays Midwestern Ale

Now I just need to:
1) add the descriptions and style recommendations (the info when you hover over the yeast name)
2) Add the imperial organic yeast co offerings
3) Add The Yeast Bays Midwestern Ale

2 and 3 from the list above are done and 1 is still in progress. First, blogger/blogspot really sucks at handling a large amount of html. Such a PITA. I have been toying with the idea of switching to wordpress and this may be the nudge I need. I added Descriptions for Imperial Organic, Inland Island, Blackman, The Yeast Bay, and White Labs. Additionally, I added the recommend styles from White Labs.

Remaining
Description Updates for: RVA, Omega, East Coast, Mangrove Jacks, and Wyeast.
Style and Compare to Updates

Not sure how much more I will get to this week, but at least the new yeast companies have been added. I also noted some new
Gigayeast offerings when I went to add those descriptions so I placed those in. Based on Morebeers website they included comparisons for the Imperial Organic to White Labs and Wyeast so I incorporated those.

2 and 3 from the list above are done and 1 is still in progress. First, blogger/blogspot really sucks at handling a large amount of html. Such a PITA. I have been toying with the idea of switching to wordpress and this may be the nudge I need. I added Descriptions for Imperial Organic, Inland Island, Blackman, The Yeast Bay, and White Labs. Additionally, I added the recommend styles from White Labs.

Remaining
Description Updates for: RVA, Omega, East Coast, Mangrove Jacks, and Wyeast.
Style and Compare to Updates

Not sure how much more I will get to this week, but at least the new yeast companies have been added. I also noted some new
Gigayeast offerings when I went to add those descriptions so I placed those in. Based on Morebeers website they included comparisons for the Imperial Organic to White Labs and Wyeast so I incorporated those.

Ok, all the descriptions have been added to the list (hover over the yeast name). I haved added styles if the yeast company recommend them. I may at some point get to adding styles to the the yeast that did not have recommendations, but I we will see. Either way, it is just a recommendation and nothing more than that.

As usual looking for feedback - good, bad, ugly.

Yeast Strain Table - http://www.shegoguebrew.com/p/yeast-strains.html

Latest posts

Back