New yeast - saving half

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever1000

Reaction score
I've been reusing my yeast for a few batches now, but I want to brew a couple different beers (Saison) so I need new yeast.

MY QUESTION is...

Prior to brewing, can I pour the smack pack in a yeast starter, let it multiply, then use half the yeast for 1 saison, then save the other half of the yeast in the fridge for a future saison? That way I don't get any off flavors in the yeast cake if I make a mistake on the first batch?

How big of a starter would I need to make two separate 5-gallon batches (splitting the starter)

Thanks!

Yes you can do that, providing that the yeast from starter does not sit to long in fridge. I would create a 4 liter starter myself. Should provide plenty of yeast for both batches.

Why can't the yeast from the starter sit in the fridge too long? Isn't it the same as yeast slurry sitting in the fridge?

Not necessarily, give the thread I linked and the calculator directions a read. You want to target an overbuild cell count, not really an overbuild volume.

One of the things done with a saison is to stress the yeast to get more esters and phenols by pitching less than the proper amount of yeast. You might be on the right track.

Not necessarily, give the thread I linked and the calculator directions a read. You want to target an overbuild cell count, not really an overbuild volume.

Yes, got it now, thanks for the clarification

One of the things done with a saison is to stress the yeast to get more esters and phenols by pitching less than the proper amount of yeast. You might be on the right track.

to clarify, for the specifics the calculator spits out, if I reduce the cell count/volume it would produce more esters and phenols and exaggerate the yeast flavours already present in say french saison 3711 because there isn't enough yeast cells to ferment normally?

If you want to do one batch now and one in a week or 2, why not just make 2 starters? Make a normal sized starter and pitch all but like 10%. With the yeast you held back make your second starter, might want to feed it in two stages.

Yes, got it now, thanks for the clarification

to clarify, for the specifics the calculator spits out, if I reduce the cell count/volume it would produce more esters and phenols and exaggerate the yeast flavours already present in say french saison 3711 because there isn't enough yeast cells to ferment normally?

I always underpitch 3711.

Latest posts

Back