New to Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefysal

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have done a couple of extract brews and am ready to venture into Partial Mash. On a side note, I asked my LHBS for help with a partial mash and he wasn't the most helpful. He just pulled up brewing software and typed in hoppy wheat, gave me the list and I searched for the material list. Didn't assist with any type of instructions when I was clearly confused. Is this normal? Am I expecting to be hand held too Much? Just curious.

---------------------------------------
Hoppy Wheat Partial Mash

Kettle Volume 4 gallon
Boil Duration 1 hour

OG 1.061
FG 1.015
Alcohol 6%
BItterness 49.2

Here's the ingredient list:

3 LB 2 row brewers malt, Briess-during mash
2 LB flaked wheat-during mash

3 LB Golden Light Powder, DME, Briess-30 min
.25 oz Columbus-60min
.5 oz Amarillo-30 min
1 oz Amarillo-5 min

.5 oz Amarillo-to secondary
.75 oz Columbus-to secondary

This is all the information I have. I asked for a recipe close to 80 Acre, a hoppy wheat. I also wanted to be able to do a full boil, thus the 4 gallon volume. I'm not sure what to do when. I don't want to use a secondary. Can I dry hop in the primary? What numbers should I be using to mash? I'm not really sure of the steps involved. I planned on using

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/
as a reference, but that doesn't give specifics to my recipe

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated

do you have a mash tun (igloo cooler) or a big enough pot to steep that much grain.. ?

You'll need a 5 gallon kettle to even do a partial boil,partial mash brew in a bag. A full boil of a 4 gallon batch would need like a 7 gallon kettle imo. Mash 5lbs of grains in 2 gallons of water @ 153 for 1 hour would do it. Sparge with 1.5 gallons of water for a 3.5 gallon boil. Or sparge with 2 gallons @ 170F for a 4 gallon boil.

I have a 5 gallon kettle. I can get a cooler. I'll have to look into what it takes to convert to a mash tun

Or you can just go biab like many of us do. Then all you need is a nylon paint strainer bag for the grains to fit the kettle. Then heat sparge water in another kettle big enough for 1.5 gallons or so plus the grain bag to dunk sparge them.

I really like 80 Acre!

I'm curious why so little wheat.

What yeast will you be using?

Is this recipe supposed to be a clone or just something like it?

BIAB is easy, though, for me, it's hard to keep the temp right. But I'm working on creating an insulating jacket for my 5 gal aluminum pot.

I tried a 2 gal Igloo and it didn't do so well. But it was also my first attempt and working on vague understandings. it did make a nice rye pale though...

The yeast is yweast 1010 American wheat. I'm going to research biab now. Maybe I'll give that a try

It's great!

You may want two thermometers to check central and side temps. I often see up to 25* difference.

Would this be considered steeping or mashing? Does the answer affect how much water I use?

Any time there's base malts involved like 2-row,it has to me mashed. Generally, 1.25 to 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. When steeping,only grains like roasted,crystal,specialty grains are involved & the water amount isn't as critical. Either way,biab works great.

Back