New to Kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AQUILAS

Reaction score
I just got my 2 keg kit last week. I'm looking to get my CO2 tank filled this weekend.

Yesterday, I got to cleaning them as they still smelled like soda. Disassembled everything and soaked everything in PBW. Really did the trick. Inspected the o-rings, replaced the ones needed to be replaced, and keg lubed all of them. I just put everything back together and put it away.

Am I okay in letting it sit like this until I can get some CO2 or should I have let it dry out?? When I get home today, if I need to, I'll fill it a bit with sanitized water and then when I get some Co2 this weekend, I'll pressurize them.

Also, might be a dumb question, when it comes time to sanitized before racking in beer, do I need to sanitize the gas line and teh disconnect?

I put ~~1L OF STARSAN in all ym kegs, seal them up, purge it a few times, then run some starsan out the diptube to clean it. When its ready, Ill shake it up, drain the rest out through the tube, purge it and its ready to rock

yeah. I always store them wet. I think it helps the o ring seals too.

Every 4 or 5 fills I'll break down a keg and soak everythign in PBW followed by basically the same method with PBW instead of starsan but its hard to keep track with 8 kegs. So far I only have done it for infection scares

Yep all my kegs have a bunch of star-san sitting in the bottom when not in use. Probably 3-4 litres or so.

With regards to cleaning I break them down every time to clean. Reason being is I soak in PBW and flush the dip tube but if you pull it apart and look down the dip tube there is still crud. I find this doesn't come out unless you physically clean the dip tube (I have a gun cleaning thingee).

I store mine every way possible mainly depending on how much time/effort I have to put towards them when they float. Ultimately they're stainless steel. You could fill them with star san between refills if you'd like but I personally don't think its necessary. Not bad by any means just not necessary.

People leave them pressurized for a few days just to pressure check them. After that you can leave them pressurized, unpressurized, lid on, lid off, etc. If any o-rings leak you'll know it next time you go to pressurize a keg with beer in it. If a post is leaking its not a big deal as you keep the quick disconnects on them anyways so your beer won't be at risk. If your lid is leaking just swap the o-ring and viola, fixed.

Back