New to building recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GKendall

Reaction score
Hi there - I have a pile of ingredients which could possibly combine to make a pale ale in my opinion, but I am honestly struggling with a basic recipe make up in particular the hop schedule. What I have is:

7 lbs light malt extract
2 lbs UK 2-row malt
1 lb crystal 40L
0.5 lb carapils
6 oz simcoe
2 oz citra
2 oz bravo

anyone willing to help build a recipe or have a good resource for a noob to start playing around with?

Do you like IPA's? You have the ingredients for it, something like:

2 lbs 2 row pale
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
7 lbs LME
1.25 oz Bravo Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Citra Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Citra - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
1.00 oz Simcoe - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

This would be a partial mash, which I assume you can do since you listed the pale malt. If you don't want to do an IPA you could go with more like 5lb LME and drop down the hops accordingly.
I've seen all the "cat piss" posts about citra and simcoe but I don't get it. I love those 2 in combination for late additions. One of the IPA's I'm drinking now is very similar to this.

Edit: I'd definitely go with a chico strain yeast, ferment low to mid 60's

Hi there - I have a pile of ingredients which could possibly combine to make a pale ale in my opinion, but I am honestly struggling with a basic recipe make up in particular the hop schedule. What I have is:

7 lbs light malt extract
2 lbs UK 2-row malt
1 lb crystal 40L
0.5 lb carapils
6 oz simcoe
2 oz citra
2 oz bravo

anyone willing to help build a recipe or have a good resource for a noob to start playing around with?

Hopville Beer Calculus.

Do you like IPA's? You have the ingredients for it, something like:

2 lbs 2 row pale
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
7 lbs LME
1.25 oz Bravo Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Citra Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Citra - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
1.00 oz Simcoe - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

This would be a partial mash, which I assume you can do since you listed the pale malt. If you don't want to do an IPA you could go with more like 5lb LME and drop down the hops accordingly.
I've seen all the "cat piss" posts about citra and simcoe but I don't get it. I love those 2 in combination for late additions. One of the IPA's I'm drinking now is very similar to this.

Edit: I'd definitely go with a chico strain yeast, ferment low to mid 60's

That looks like about the best thing to do with those leftovers! :mug: I love Simcoe and Citra hops, people say catty aroma about columbus too.... I don't get it either, I think those are some of the best hops for IPA.
I'd also recommend some software like BeerSmith to help out with recipes. BeerSmith can even help you formulate a recipe based on what ingredients you have on hand. Software is invaluable when coming up with beer recipes.

7 lbs light malt extract
2 lbs UK 2-row malt
1 lb crystal 40L
0.5 lb carapils
6 oz simcoe
2 oz citra
2 oz bravo

I am a noob also, and have been having a blast with Brewer's Friend....great recipe builder, very easy to use. The numbers have not added up, but still very good resource.

I agree...make a nice, citrusy, IPA. Love citra.

Latest posts

Back