New to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brasco20

Reaction score
Don't bother with 5-gallon coolers. A 6-gallon fermenter will not fit inside! Get a 10-gallon:
2861595592_673b44289b_m.jpg

If your stove has a "power burner" (BTUs in the 5-figures) it should be ok.

If you are going to serious about all grain brewing you really are much better off with the 10 gallon set than the 5 gallon one. Any higher gravity beer is going to be difficult to fit in a 5 gallon cooler, and you will just find yourself wanting the 10 gallon coolers a couple months down the road. If you are a time is more valuable than money person then go ahead and get them pre-made. You can make them yourself if you are a little bit handy and have a some time. Here is a great link https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

As to your choice of mill, it is a good mill with a good reputation. You will find no shortage of opinions on the best mill round here, but the short list usually includes the one you are looking at, The Monster Mill, The CrankandStein, and the BC Barley Crusher.

Unless you have a commercial gas stove you are going to struggle a bit to get up to a good rolling boil on a kitchen stove. A moderate propane burner set up gets you there much quicker. You don't need any of the super high 100,000 BTU burners, most of your run of the mill turkey fryer burners are plenty.

To do full boils you are going to want a pot with a little headspace to allow for the initially higher volume before boil-off. It depends on if you use foam control or not. Some get along with a 7 to 7-1/2 gallon pot. A 9 or 10 gallon gives you some more breathing room, and a 15 allows you to move up to 10 gallon batches in the future if you want.

As to software, Promash or Beersmith. Both great functional programs and I believe they are both free to download and try out. So download them and decide yourself.

Thanks for the help guys! I will be getting the equipment very soon. If possible, i would like someone to give me a recipe for AG that is fairly simple and easy to get. Also if i could get a bit of a step by step instruction as to brewing the recipe. I dont have anyone to help with this, just you guys. Im sort of feeling in the dark here. I dont care what type of beer it is, just want to get some practice with the proper steps.

Im sure i will have plenty of bonehead questions, so a thanks in advance for not biting my head off.

Thanks alot for the help guys!

Brasco

Here is a pretty simple all grain recipe that is very popular. Edworts Haus Pale Ale. Lots of info and feedback on this beer so many people can step in and help as most here have probably brewed this at some point. The recipe uses dry yeast, but you could easily sub in any clean attenuative liquid yeast such as cal ale if you wanted to work with liquid yeasts.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

You can also browse through the recipe links from the recipe menu on the brown tool bar near the top of the page.

Cheers

Pick a style you like and find a recipe in the HBT Recipe section, preferably with a lot of replies, get a kit from a homebrew store, or check these out:
http://***********/stories/beer-sty...1-beer-styles/1491-the-10-easiest-beer-styles

Here's a demonstration (1/8):

Last edited by a moderator:
Back