New temp/gravity probe: Brewometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maoru

I ❤︎ Kveik
Reaction score
I just found this neat project on Kickstarter; seems to be the Beer Bug killer. Don't know why they didn't realize that it's a very confusing name with the Brewmometer by Blichmann. They should have called it Beerometer since it's not measuring anything in the brewing process. Anyway:

Brewometer on Kickstarter

It's cheaper ($90), smaller, and useful in more vessels, compared to the Beer Bug, which is now available. It might be less accurate but that's yet to be seen.

I'd like to get this, and then get it talking with a temperature controller over BlueTooth like BrewPi. Only like 600 more people need to get one to make it a reality.

Very interesting! To decode the tech speak: it differs fundamentally from the BeerBug in the design of the gravity meter. While the beer bug uses a float which is measured by a hall effect sensor; this project seems to use two floats, the difference of which is measured by an accelerometer which measures the angle between the two floats and calculates the gravity based on that. It's really quite a clever design - more clever I would say than the BeerBug. I would also bet that it's more effective, although both are likely to be vulnerable to agitation, CO2 flotation, etc.

Yeah I'm a bit bummed out by the turnout so far because I really want one. I think the BeerBug had some advantage being first. I'd like a wireless gravity/temp monitor talking to a temp controller. It's a DIY hobby, so maybe I should just use my old WiiMote like the prototype did.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Resurrecting this thread because this is on the market and curious if there are any early adopters/reviews?

purchased. received. messing around with it. so far so good for functionality and simplicity of the app, but am still messing with setting up remote access

Their FAQ says the temp accuracy is +/- 2 degrees F. That's a big range. I wonder if that is the accuracy range at room temp or if that range is more applicable when the water is really cold or really warm.

I'm pretty interested in it, but it would be good to hear how it does during a couple fermentations and when you're getting blow off.

Anyone using this product? Sounds really interesting, especially since the temp range is as high as 185 (though you need to convert a SG point per 10 degrees f over 98 f) so the ability to take all your OG readings, then sanitize and drop into the primary is pretty cool curious how people's experience align with the advertised capabilities.

EDIT: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=471844 apparently already another thread going

Latest posts

Back