NEW Product Announcement - Spike Solo Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just announced our new Spike Solo brewing panel! This brand new panel was designed and will be assembled at our plant in Milwaukee, WI. It was designed to handle (1) 120-240v element, (1) brew pump, (1) AUX/steam condensing lid and a temp probe.

We also took a different approach with our panel. We asked ourselves, "How can we make a control panel that my mom could use without calling me for help?!". We looked at the market and saw that there are plenty of super complex controllers out there. Most are unintuitive PID or touchscreen. The have wifi and bluetooth and mash schedules and timers and apps, etc, etc. These are all features that are overwhelming for someone that just wants to have a nice simple Brew Day without battling wifi, bluetooth and apps just to heat some water. The simple BIAB systems have easy functionality but no style and not with commercial quality. We combined all of this into the most simple to use, badass designed controller on the market.

This will be launching as a stand alone product as well as with all Solo Systems going forward later this summer/early fall! If you're interested in learning more click the link below and if you would like to be kept up to date with pre-sale info, additional 'first look' details, etc sign up for the Back in Stock notification on the product page.

Interesting product. Simple is good. Price would be good to know.

One oddity: whenwall mounted, it seems the cables/connectors would be on the top, which would work poorly, esp. for 240V. Reversible?

Is the power cable included for $550? What probe to kettle interfaces are available? TC, NPT, weldless?
The main power cable is included. 6’ I believe (should be called out on the website). It uses a standard RTD probe. The probe isn’t included so people can use whatever they prefer.

Maybe some people like it that way, but for that money i would want wifi, bt, buzzers, schedules, automation!, and i don't care my mom or grandmom can work with it, they don't brew :p.

Look on page 4 of the user guide, it shows an illustration of the cords.

Not sure why the power switch is buried in the back of the unit. 🤔

Attachments

• Solo_Panel_User_Guide_082123_SE.pdf
    430.1 KB · Views: 0
Look on page 4 of the user guide, it shows an illustration of the cords.

Not sure why the power switch is buried in the back of the unit. 🤔
I saw that. But it's a drawing. Hard to see I'm hoping it's this 01586a90-6011-41f9-92fe-e690a15feb25.jpeg

The other important info missing are the electrical specifications (Voltage, maximum heater load, recommended circuit breaker rating, power plug NEMA type).
Nema 14-30 I assume. There faq years ago with old controller shows 14-30. 30a dryer plug which I don't have installed. But the image on manual doesn't look like that. It looks like L14-30 which is what I posted and what my generator runs on. t's a mystery I'm not sure why it's being held so secret. Either way it's 4 wire. 30a. I'll make a cord to work for my generator but they have the unit done. They post it on IG. Just show us.. lol

Nema 14-30 I assume. There faq years ago with old controller shows 14-30. 30a dryer plug which I don't have installed. But the image on manual doesn't look like that. It looks like L14-30 which is what I posted and what my generator runs on. t's a mystery I'm not sure why it's being held so secret. Either way it's 4 wire. 30a. I'll make a cord to work for my generator but they have the unit done. They post it on IG. Just show us.. lol
Are you off the grid that you are using a generator or just brew in an area without 240V power?

Are you off the grid that you are using a generator or just brew in an area without 240V power?
I don't have 220 In my garage. Just inside my dryer ina tiny laundry room. I have a Honda eu7000is that I installed a transfer switch for if we lose power here in CA which is threatened yearly with these fires. I did all this when I couldn't afford to lose power when I had a massive salt water reef tank. But now that is gone. I figure I would just use the generator since it's sitting here. I don't have to run 30a breakers and wires. I think my panel is full anyways. The generator is super quiet too. So it won't bother me, especially when I make a cord 25-50ft away.

Plus even though I have solar. Gives me another reason to use my generator that is sitting here. Newsom and PGE won't smile with a 5500w element on for a few hours on a brew day.

Edit add:
It just gives me a way and reason to take advantage of the more power instead of using my 110 and having a slower boil..

FYI, when I corresponded with Spike customer service on this about a month ago, they pointed me to this FAQ (What are the electrical requirements for the Spike Solo System?) for the wall side of the power cable, and emailed me a picture of a 4 prong dryer plug as well.

I’d also checked with them to confirm that the power cable was similar to Molded 14-30P to L14-30R SJTW 10/4 6f

Well then I should be able to use my 50ft L14-30 cord then. And not worry about the 14-30P that comes with it.. I have a L14-30 extension cord L14-30 on both sides

The gen is going to sound obnoxious when the controller is pulsing the element to control the boil. It will be rapidly switching between a full load and zero load.
My eu7000is I don't really ever keep it in eco mode which is super quiet. I usually leave it full because it's still quiet. I'll see. If it's super bad. I can always put in a receptacle in garage. But I'll texts it out.

For what it's worth, I ordered mine on 8/22 right when preorders opened. I like real switches rather than touchscreens, which is why I waited for this rather than going with Blichmann's solution. The look is clean too. So far so good, with the exception of a reversed wire on the temperature probe cable.

For what it's worth, I ordered mine on 8/22 right when preorders opened. I like real switches rather than touchscreens, which is why I waited for this rather than going with Blichmann's solution. The look is clean too. So far so good, with the exception of a reversed wire on the temperature probe cable.
So they aren't even done fulfilling preorders yet?????? I ordered mine the second it went on sale 9/38 hit refresh hella times in morning. Was 3 weeks after order. Then 4. Now who knows. Especially if your a preorder. I might have to scratch this

About the wire. They were talking about carefully putting together and testing each one. How did that happen. Or they aren't really testing

Using an old temperature probe that came with my Brau Supply controller and not Spike’s. It is possible that is wired differently from what Spike ships, although I would have thought it was a standard part.

Just announced our new Spike Solo brewing panel! This brand new panel was designed and will be assembled at our plant in Milwaukee, WI. It was designed to handle (1) 120-240v element, (1) brew pump, (1) AUX/steam condensing lid and a temp probe.

We also took a different approach with our panel. We asked ourselves, "How can we make a control panel that my mom could use without calling me for help?!". We looked at the market and saw that there are plenty of super complex controllers out there. Most are unintuitive PID or touchscreen. The have wifi and bluetooth and mash schedules and timers and apps, etc, etc. These are all features that are overwhelming for someone that just wants to have a nice simple Brew Day without battling wifi, bluetooth and apps just to heat some water. The simple BIAB systems have easy functionality but no style and not with commercial quality. We combined all of this into the most simple to use, badass designed controller on the market.

This will be launching as a stand alone product as well as with all Solo Systems going forward later this summer/early fall! If you're interested in learning more click the link below and if you would like to be kept up to date with pre-sale info, additional 'first look' details, etc sign up for the Back in Stock notification on the product page.

I expect to receive my Solo Panel as part of my Solo System. I can't wait ti put it together!!

Using an old temperature probe that came with my Brau Supply controller and not Spike’s. It is possible that is wired differently from what Spike ships, although I would have thought it was a standard part.
What did they say about it not working ? Sending a new one?

Sorry about the trouble. There’s not a standard way to wire these so if you’re using a non-Spike probe it may need to be re-wired.

Just got the panel right before leaving for work. It doesn't come with a element cable ?????

Guess I'm not using it this weekend.

Amazon to the rescue. 10fter. Except I don't need that long for the solo panel with stand on the solo cart. Prob cut it and custom fit it to run the wire clean

Last edited:
Back