NEW Product Announcement - Spike Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Beer may be from The Middle Ages, but that doesn't mean your mill needs to look like it's from then, too. The sleek, lightweight and compact design of the NEW Spike Mill features an integrated motor, tool-less gap setting, optimal hopper size, cord wrap and (wait for it...) an integrated funnel for dust mitigation! Launching late 2023/early 2024 but GET ON THE EMAIL LIST. Trust us, you'll want to know what's coming this Summer.

per the Spike website

1684881613008.png

I'm not shopping but was just curious. $500 is a bit high imo, depending on the homebrewer. If I were brewing 10-15 gallon batches every week, it would probably be worth it. Might be overkill for a brewer that's brewing 1/4 or half that a month.

I assume that it's a 2 roller mill? Not mentioned in the specs.

It seems pretty light based on the size of the rollers, must have made use of plastic materials.

Beer isn't from the middle ages...

Attachments

• OIP.jpeg
    OIP.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 0
500 bucks is pretty steep. Looks like it takes a lot of room too. Don't think I would be looking at that in the near or even distant future. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!!
Compare the features of this with other motorized mills on the market. You’ll see that’s it’s a bargain at that price. Also it’s quite compact as well.

A good motor will put you back $250, so I don't think it's too far off.

I have to recant my statement. I didn't realize this mill was motorized. That will make a difference as far as pricing goes.

The big question then for me would be.....if the motor ever crapped out can you still operate the mill manually until the motor is repaired/replaced? That could be something to consider if this is an all in one unit that would have to have the whole thing replaced if that issue occurred.

I have to recant my statement. I didn't realize this mill was motorized. That will make a difference as far as pricing goes.

The big question then for me would be.....if the motor ever crapped out can you still operate the mill manually until the motor is repaired/replaced? That could be something to consider if this is an all in one unit that would have to have the whole thing replaced if that issue occurred.
That big question is a great question: Can it be operated without the use of the motor (until the motor is fixed)?

That big question is a great question: Can it be operated without the use of the motor (until the motor is fixed)?

We don’t really see this being an issue. We don’t design products for components to break. If in 10 years a motor wears out we will have replacements in stock for sale.

I think this is a good value for what it is. Add up the cost of a good mill, motor, switch, and reduction gear and it is here or over. If you add a cabinet and cost to mod it the stand they will offer will be cheaper. I just felt with this late last year, I wore out my 12 year old monster mill and then broke it. The bolt that replaced the thumb screw snapped and then an easy out snapped in it.
I wanted a mill on a stand so I did not have to get it out and put it away every time I brewed. I priced out building one, buying a motorized kit from monster, and Blichmann's. I went with the blichmann because I did not have the time to mod a cabinet. It overall was cheaper with my time factored in, and I greatly enjoy using it. If the spike was available then, or my monster lasted longer, I may have purchased the spike.

If someone wants to build one, do it and enjoy doing it. If someone wants to use a drill, I did for 12 years, go for it and enjoy it. If someone wants to use a handcrank and enjoys it, wow.

I like the toolless gap setting. Be nice to dial back and forth when switching to wheat, etc.

Offset roller speeds sound intriguing. Will that minimize husk shredding while giving a good crush?

Dust reduction always a plus.

I like the chain drive idea--no slipping belts.

What kind of bearings in the roller shafts? Sleeve or ball?

A $500 price point isn't unreasonable for a turn-key unit with some novel features.

I like the toolless gap setting. Be nice to dial back and forth when switching to wheat, etc.

Offset roller speeds sound intriguing. Will that minimize husk shredding while giving a good crush?

Dust reduction always a plus.

I like the chain drive idea--no slipping belts.

What kind of bearings in the roller shafts? Sleeve or ball?

A $500 price point isn't unreasonable for a turn-key unit with some novel features.
The Spike Mill uses sealed ball bearings.

Also the offset roller design that offers a shearing action as opposed to a pulverizing crush is what us and Briess Malt found to give the best crush.

The website says launching late 2023/early 2024 and that it's sold out. Does that mean don't expect to receive it until next summer?
Kudos on the 60lb hopper for the pro version. It sucks to split bags to avoid overloading the hopper.

I'm a big fan of Spike products, have plenty in my brewery and none have let me down! My Monster Mill 2 is still going strong 10 years later, so I'm not currently in the market for a new one. However, I would be tempted as I'm sure this Spike mill is good quality.

We don’t really see this being an issue. We don’t design products for components to break. If in 10 years a motor wears out we will have replacements in stock for sale.

That's nice to know, but I still wouldn't mind knowing if the mill can be operated in some sort of manual mode without the motor engaged. In the event it DID fail, knowing that you could still chuck up a cordless drill to it to continue an interrupted brew day gives the mill a lot more value in my mind.

That's nice to know, but I still wouldn't mind knowing if the mill can be operated in some sort of manual mode without the motor engaged. In the event it DID fail, knowing that you could still chuck up a cordless drill to it to continue an interrupted brew day gives the mill a lot more value in my mind.
Eh no point in worrying about that. Your liver failed long before the motor did.

I too would like to know. Warranty is still only 1 year.

I too would like to know. Warranty is still only 1 year.
We didn’t go this approach similar to how cars don’t have hand crank options anymore either. We chose a very robust motor that should outlast you. If it doesn’t for whatever reason we support all of our products and will have affordable replacement parts.

We didn’t go this approach similar to how cars don’t have hand crank options anymore either. We chose a very robust motor that should outlast you. If it doesn’t for whatever reason we support all of our products and will have affordable replacement parts.
I am going to go on your good reputation and participation on this site. You have my order!

Looks like I have to wait until April for delivery.

What cheap options are out there? I have a few beer kits and test batches I ordered unmilled that are getting old. No local shops to go to.

What cheap options are out there? I have a few beer kits and test batches I ordered unmilled that are getting old. No local shops to go to.

I don't own one, but I don't think you could go cheaper than a Corona mill.

Plus if your cordless drill sh-ts the bed during a brew day, you can use a hand crank on it.

I have said it a few times, and I still think it's true. Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace or any used outlet. People get into and out of hobbies all the time and sell their stuff for pennies on the dollar.

Back