New Product Announcement From SPIKE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Nate R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
we'll ship a replacement gauge out to you right away."
Well, i guess we know what happened to @Big_D 's unit!!!

I picked mine unit up today from my "damn porch pirates forced me to rent a friggin' ups store mailbox".
This baby is HEAVY! Wow. Speaks to... well, i dunno, really... but my life experience tends to lead me believe heavier is better.

+1 to the Spike customer service.

Hope you get your unit soon Big_D!

Brooothru

Reaction score
Well, i guess we know what happened to @Big_D 's unit!!!

I picked mine unit up today from my "damn porch pirates forced me to rent a friggin' ups store mailbox".
This baby is HEAVY! Wow. Speaks to... well, i dunno, really... but my life experience tends to lead me believe heavier is better.

+1 to the Spike customer service.

Hope you get your unit soon Big_D!
My impression too. That thing has some serious heft to it. I'm also impressed with the machining, especially the fine tuning of the vernier adjustment of the spring tensioner. Just be careful with that pressure dump plunger. Even at just a couple psi, it'll give you a Star San shower. Don't ask me how I know.

Reaction score
Brew day complete, I was a little anxious and woke up at 5am and started my brewday, cf15 filled with new prv resting atop in all its glory.
20220507_132431.jpg

Chorgey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brew day complete, I was a little anxious and woke up at 5am and started my brewday, cf15 filled with new prv resting atop in all its glory.
View attachment 768219
I'm interested in your setup. It looks like you have a blowoff tube and the PRV installed at the same time. I was under the impression that the blowoff tube stays on for a few days and then switch it out to the PRV

Nate R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested in your setup. It looks like you have a blowoff tube and the PRV installed at the same time. I was under the impression that the blowoff tube stays on for a few days and then switch it out to the PRV
I bet he uses that butterfly valve- he closes it on the blow off line. Then no oxygen exposure by having to switch clamps.
Insert warning- always ensure you have a clear clean dedicated blow off PRV before adding a valve!!!

natmartin

Reaction score
Got the PRV, can't wait to use it on my next batch! I had one question for @SpikeBrewing though. I noticed that if the airlock/cup is filled with water or sanitizer, and you depress the plunger, the liquid drains through the holes down into the fermentor. How are you supposed to relieve pressure in the vessel without letting liquid in?

OP
OP
SpikeBrewing
Reaction score
Got the PRV, can't wait to use it on my next batch! I had one question for @SpikeBrewing though. I noticed that if the airlock/cup is filled with water or sanitizer, and you depress the plunger, the liquid drains through the holes down into the fermentor. How are you supposed to relieve pressure in the vessel without letting liquid in?

You’ll want to pull off the red and black cap to drain the sanitizer cup.

Big_D

Master Of My Domain
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So @SpikeBrewing … how‘s that “testing” going? 🙄

Per the email response quoted below, I was told last week that my order “should“ ship out this week. Haven’t heard anything and this week is just about over?

"I'm sorry but there has been a slight delay in our testing process with these. We should be shipping this out next week! Thank you for your patience here."

OP
OP
SpikeBrewing
Reaction score
So @SpikeBrewing … how‘s that “testing” going? 🙄

Per the email response quoted below, I was told last week that my order “should“ ship out this week. Haven’t heard anything and this week is just about over?

"I'm sorry but there has been a slight delay in our testing process with these. We should be shipping this out next week! Thank you for your patience here."

I’m with our marketing team so I don’t have real time insight on quality testing. Have you shot our Support team a message to see what’s up?