New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20210822_160850.jpg

Single Decocted Czech Pils. Beating the heat!

Poured my first 16oz draft beer! A pale ale from a kit that came with the 5 gallon kit I purchased in June. It was my first 5 gallon brew and trying new things, from using malt extract to cold crashing and learning about carbonating with a CO2 tank. Happy with how it came out!

Attachments

• E3E9359F-B337-4976-8AD0-1D187DDBB1B5.jpeg
    E3E9359F-B337-4976-8AD0-1D187DDBB1B5.jpeg
    500.6 KB · Views: 12
German Helles, Attempt #2. 5.3% ABV

IMG_3857.JPG

Entered it in a recent comp, scored a 32. Got hit for Diacetyl and Acetaldehyde. But, had another judge sample it (after hours of course), and he said he didn't get either of them. Maybe he was just being nice to my face. I didn't get either of them...but I don't know...

Thought it turned out decent. I was a little too light on the hops, and the balance was off a bit. Malt flavor and aroma were good. Beer was nearly crystal clear, so I was happy with that. Head retention was good. Decent all around for me...

I will go back and look into, and learn more, about lager fermentation, and build on that knowledge. I went a little further on this one, and did a forced diacetyl test, which, my wife and I thought came back good. This was lagered for 4 weeks before the competition, so maybe that wasn't long enough to clean it up? You would think but...not sure. But, I am determined to make award winning German lagers, so the process continues.

German Helles, Attempt #2. 5.3% ABV

View attachment 740108

Entered it in a recent comp, scored a 32. Got hit for Diacetyl and Acetaldehyde. But, had another judge sample it (after hours of course), and he said he didn't get either of them. Maybe he was just being nice to my face. I didn't get either of them...but I don't know...

Thought it turned out decent. I was a little too light on the hops, and the balance was off a bit. Malt flavor and aroma were good. Beer was nearly crystal clear, so I was happy with that. Head retention was good. Decent all around for me...

I will go back and look into, and learn more, about lager fermentation, and build on that knowledge. I went a little further on this one, and did a forced diacetyl test, which, my wife and I thought came back good. This was lagered for 4 weeks before the competition, so maybe that wasn't long enough to clean it up? You would think but...not sure. But, I am determined to make award winning German lagers, so the process continues.
I’m going to say don’t listen to the initial judge. If you got dinged for both diacetyl and acetaldihyde and still scored a 32, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Those would be considered significant flaws. I’d say they are not present.

if you still have the beer, you can do a forced diacetyl test and find out for sure
An Easy DIY Diacetyl Test | Spike Brewing

I’m going to say don’t listen to the initial judge. If you got dinged for both diacetyl and acetaldihyde and still scored a 32, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Those would be considered significant flaws. I’d say they are not present.

if you still have the beer, you can do a forced diacetyl test and find out for sure
An Easy DIY Diacetyl Test | Spike Brewing

Thanks man. Well, I re-looked. It scored a 30 and a 32. So, 31 overall.

I did do that exact process (actually from the same website) after my diacetyl rest, and my wife and I didn't get anything. And she has a pretty decent nose, better than mine at least. The 3rd guy I talked to (Master level judge), didn't get anything. Every nose is different I guess...

I think I may enter it again, in a month or so, and see what I get back. Just for S's and G's.

Thanks man. Well, I re-looked. It scored a 30 and a 32. So, 31 overall.

I did do that exact process (actually from the same website) after my diacetyl rest, and my wife and I didn't get anything. And she has a pretty decent nose, better than mine at least. The 3rd guy I talked to (Master level judge), didn't get anything. Every nose is different I guess...

I think I may enter it again, in a month or so, and see what I get back. Just for S's and G's.
That to me even more so proves that they weren’t present in the beer.

similar thing happened to me at competition in April. One judge said he picked up DMS scored a 32(non certified judge). Master judge scored the same beer a 42. Average was a 37.

Cheers, my first EQ beer. Pretty good, definitely not blown away or worth the crazy price tag IMO

Hopefully the one currently in primary comes out better than this

Attachments

• C4BE1CFD-C27F-43DA-8D88-9C87152A608A.jpeg
    C4BE1CFD-C27F-43DA-8D88-9C87152A608A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
That to me even more so proves that they weren’t present in the beer.

similar thing happened to me at competition in April. One judge said he picked up DMS scored a 32(non certified judge). Master judge scored the same beer a 42. Average was a 37.

That is super crazy man. Usually, if judges are that far off, they work to bring thier scores closer together. 5 points apart at worst. Shiz weird man. Just keep brewing…

That is super crazy man. Usually, if judges are that far off, they work to bring thier scores closer together. 5 points apart at worst. Shiz weird man. Just keep brewing…
Checked again and it wasn’t as bad but it was still 7 apart. 34 and 41

Cosmic Monkey - a 12% Russian Imperial Stout with caramelized nanner's:
PXL_20210827_211413263.jpg

Sour Puss - an 8% barrel Aged American Strong Ale that... Uhhh... Picked up too much character but came out great regardless:
PXL_20210827_221822487.jpg

Dunkelnacht - an 8.5% dark Doppelbock that has too much dark fruit and not enough malt flavor, so it scores low but scores high on intangibles...
PXL_20210828_010548354.jpg

Easy Sippin' - a 4% session IPA with Citra and Wakatu hops. Just so my liver can take a break:
PXL_20210828_024509327.jpg

Ok, not the best picture, but this is probably the best beer I have ever had. i Just got back in the brew game earlier in the year. I brewed a extract IPA which was good, and finished brewing and bottling a Saison partial kit from Bobby at Brewhardware. Shortly after bottling the beer, after a few months of test found out I needed to have my Aortic Valve replaced. Yep open heart surgery. I have to say OHS is no joke, and the recovery is no joke. I was out of brewing or consuming for a while. Seven weeks out of surgery had best family friends over (first thing I had done since two weeks before the surgery). Poured the Saison. Wrong glass used as well, sorry. Both me and my buddy it was really good. For me, because of everything else the past 3 months it was the best beer I have ever had. I am still a few weeks away from getting back to brewing. Spending so much time just reading and getting to know more of the hobby and more of you guys I see AG brewing in my future. Sorry for the long reply, but was hard to shorten and wanted to share since I also read threads on this site 2-3X daily and loving everything I am learning. Thanks for listening.

Translates from German to “dark night” so I assume the name refers to the beer being a dark doppelbock

Well, yes and no. It doesn't really translate to anything because it is not actually a word. "dark night" would be "dunkle Nacht". The German language allows composition of nouns, but not attaching adjectives to nouns. There is a noun "Dunkel" (uppercase), which means "the dark", but still "Dunkelnacht" doesn't make much sense because it would be "the dark's night". You could say "Nachtdunkel", "the night's dark", though.

In a more poetic context you will sometimes find the attachment of an adjective to a noun to build a name - but not actually word-, such as "Finsterwald" ("finster" being another word for "dark", "Wald" meaning "forest"). And it just so happens that there is a book titled "Dunkelnacht" set in the last days of nazi Germany. Hence my question about the name's origin.

I'm working on a thing this weekend...

PXL_20210905_003403064.jpg

PXL_20210905_004010073.NIGHT.jpg

For the record, that beer is called "Cosmic Monkey", and it's a RIS with caramelized nanner's.

Yes, I know the Russians sent up a dog first, and American' we're more partial to monkeys, but damnit man, artistic licence!

Back