New Mangrove Jack's strains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bringing this one back post-Homebrew Con. Did anyone snag samples from the BrewCraft USA table? I was able to get my hands on the Witbier (M21), Tripel (M31), French Saison (M29), and Liberty Bell (M36) strains. It also looks like they're still making Belgian Ale (prev. M27, now M41). Not sure if it's the same strain or different.

Would have liked to snag a M05 Mead pack, but I guess I can't be greedy. Time to start brewing! :mug:

EDIT: I still haven't seen an official announcement from BrewCraft USA, but the new strains are on their website. I imagine it's only a matter of time before they show up at local and online US retailers.

I see them at Ritebrew.com as well.

I am brewing an English Pale Ale with Crisp Maris Otter, Crisp Crystal 15, Kent Goldings, and M07 this weekend. Rebel Brewer says M07 equates to WLP007 which from what I understand equates to S-04 which equates to WY 1098. We'll see.

I am brewing an English Pale Ale with Crisp Maris Otter, Crisp Crystal 15, Kent Goldings, and M07 this weekend. Rebel Brewer says M07 equates to WLP007 which from what I understand equates to S-04 which equates to WY 1098. We'll see.

I just LOVE M07, so much better for british beers than S04, at least for my taste buds.. Altho hoppy pales with S04 fermented cool are nice.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but it kinda looks like M07 is being/has been phased out. It's not listed on the MJ website or promotional pdf. Does anyone have any further info on this?

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but it kinda looks like M07 is being/has been phased out. It's not listed on the MJ website or promotional pdf. Does anyone have any further info on this?

Reply #17 = "M07 British Ale- M42 New World Strong Ale"

Some of the strains are new, and (at least according to the Swedish importer) some are simply renamed.
M27 Belgian Ale- M29 French Saison
M07 British Ale- M42 New World Strong Ale
M79 Burton Union- M36 Liberty Bell Ale
M03 Newcastle Brown Ale -M15 Empire Ale

My note to Mangrove Jack's:

I understand Mangrove Jack's has a new line of dry yeast. Were some of the old strains simply renamed (i.e. M07 British Ale = M42 New World Strong Ale, M79 Burton Union = M36 Liberty Bell Ale)? Or are they completely new strains and the old strains discontinued? If they are simply renamed can you provided a cross reference so I can feel confident I am using the same strain?

Their reply:

They are different but have been chosen as replacements because of their similar profile/behaviour. So you will get the same result if you use the replacement yeast e.g. M07 British Ale = M42 New World Strong Ale, M79 Burton Union = M36 Liberty Bell

Kind Regards

Amy Paisley
Customer Service Advocate

my LHBS stocks Mangrove Jack exclusively, as liquid yeast to to cost-ineffective for him. I will be trying it soon but haven't yet.

My note to Mangrove Jack's:

I understand Mangrove Jack's has a new line of dry yeast. Were some of the old strains simply renamed (i.e. M07 British Ale = M42 New World Strong Ale, M79 Burton Union = M36 Liberty Bell Ale)? Or are they completely new strains and the old strains discontinued? If they are simply renamed can you provided a cross reference so I can feel confident I am using the same strain?

Their reply:

They are different but have been chosen as replacements because of their similar profile/behaviour. So you will get the same result if you use the replacement yeast e.g. M07 British Ale = M42 New World Strong Ale, M79 Burton Union = M36 Liberty Bell

Kind Regards

Amy Paisley
Customer Service Advocate

Thanks for getting confirmation!

Thanks for getting confirmation!

HA! Interesting......
All the chatter otu there is about them essentially re namingtheir yeasts, eitherfor marketing purposes, or to get them closer to the appropriate style guidlines.

But hey, good information none the less (Not sure i really believe a marketing company, lol)

Did a tripel with M31 today, airlock activity 1hr after pitching. Looks like thing thing is a beast!

I think a tripel is my next brew, so I have some questions:
1) Batch size?
2) Starting gravity?
3) Number of packs?
4) Pitch dry or rehydrate?

My 6 gallon batch should come to about 1.085, so I've been thinking two rehydrated packs. Just curious if all that is necessary.

I believe you'd be better off with two hydrated packs. That's a big job for one pack.

With an OG of 1068 I have dry pitched 2 packs . Ferments quickly and finishes in 6 days at 25C. It does not attenuate like M27 or M29 but that's correct for a tripel. Still it gets down to 1007.

I think a tripel is my next brew, so I have some questions:
1) Batch size?
2) Starting gravity?
3) Number of packs?
4) Pitch dry or rehydrate?

My 6 gallon batch should come to about 1.085, so I've been thinking two rehydrated packs. Just curious if all that is necessary.

I pitched 1 rehydrated pack into a bit over 2 gallons of 1.076 wort. Looks like it went through it in just under 48hrs. The krausen is sinking now.

As an experiment I aerated the water I used to rehydrate before adding the yeast and also aerated the wort. I use water from a kitchen boiler that can deliver water close to boiling so its free from bugs but probably also dead O2-wise. I usually just let it cool to pitch temp and rehydrate but I was seeing huge lag times (48hr+) on some brews (even when overpitching). With this aerated water and wort though I saw bubbles within the hour.

I made a bitter with MJ Dark Ale yeast which is now Empire Ale. I'd read that it had low attenuation so I added 400g of Golden Syrup (easy to get hold of here in the UK no sure about over in the US) to dry things out a bit. I ended up with 71% attenuation(I'd read on UK forum that the attenuation was about 65%) but I managed to get the balance right and the combination of malts, low attenuation, and GS made for a fantastic bitter.
It's a very english strain with quite a high floctuation and some esters. Nothing that smacks you in the face but the bitter had some complex flavours but I'm not sure which were the esters and which were the golden syrup as I've only used GS in a beer once before a long time ago.

If anyone is interested in the Californian Lager yeast you can read about how it perfomed in a brewday report here on HBT's UK sister forum HBF
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62196

As an experiment I aerated the water I used to rehydrate before adding the yeast and also aerated the wort. I use water from a kitchen boiler that can deliver water close to boiling so its free from bugs but probably also dead O2-wise. I usually just let it cool to pitch temp and rehydrate but I was seeing huge lag times (48hr+) on some brews (even when overpitching). With this aerated water and wort though I saw bubbles within the hour.

I've found aerating my dilution water (I'm a Maxi-BIABer) effective too

I have used M27, M29 and M31. All of them give very good and reliable results. The only liquid yeast I have tried is Wyeast Ardennes and it is fabulous, better than dried yeast (though I used it in a dubbel). i believe it works well in a tripel also.

Rebel Brewer has the new MJ strains now. They ship fast, stock high quality products, and have great Cust Service.

Is there some reason you can't go back? It's not Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit.

I suspect thats because Belgian Liquid Strains - are infinitely better, than the majority of these Dry yeasts.

I've tasted beers, with almost all of the MJ strains, and I can safely say, the only belgian strain worth a dime is the Abbey Strain.
M27 - M29 too estery boozy and waaay too attenuative.

the Tripel is the only one I haven't had much experience with - tried a beer from a fellow brewer last week, which was ok, but not great.

I have brewed several beers from one M54 hybrid lager sachet and think this is a really good strain.

It really accentuates hops for some reason; I did a vienna lager, munich lager, and a pale ale smash and in all three the hop aroma was very noticeable. It leaves a minute sulphur smell that I have yet to detect but at the brewery where we do our meet ups the brewer detected it but mentioned that they have used it so know what to look for.

I'm contemplating using it for an IPA.

I bought a few packs of the new brands and want to try them with a Brown porter similar to Jamil's recipe which uses WLP013 London ale (Wyeast 1028). Which MJ yeast is most similar to WLP013/WY1028?

M42 New World Strong Ale (was M07 British Ale)
or
M36 Liberty Bell Ale (was M79 Burton Union).

Recipe here:

10 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Brown Malt
1 lb Crystal 45
10 oz Pale Chocolate
1.25 oz Fuggle (4.8%) – 60 min
0.5 oz Fuggle (4.8%) – 10 min

I guess the M36 but is it any good?

Thanks! :mug:

I bought a few packs of the new brands and want to try them with a Brown porter similar to Jamil's recipe which uses WLP013 London ale (Wyeast 1028). Which MJ yeast is most similar to WLP013/WY1028?

M42 New World Strong Ale (was M07 British Ale)
or
M36 Liberty Bell Ale (was M79 Burton Union).

Recipe here:

10 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Brown Malt
1 lb Crystal 45
10 oz Pale Chocolate
1.25 oz Fuggle (4.8%) – 60 min
0.5 oz Fuggle (4.8%) – 10 min

I guess the M36 but is it any good?

Thanks! :mug:

M36 is the old newcastle dark right?
I've heard good things about t he esters, but like many oft he MJ strains, they all need high pitch rates.
I've never used 36, but the old burton union is solid - probably a good place to start.

Well I just finished a starter using the M36 strain @20~21c, and wow, it seriously has some seriously pleasant esters going on. Definitely what I was looking for when wife said she wants a beer with some nice fruity aromas.

I just brewed up a Goose Island IPA clone and am going to pitch my pack of M42 New World Strong Ale.
Decided I will use a mix of Windsor and Nottingham for my brown porter instead of the M36.

Not seeing any mention of the wit strain (m21). Anyone tried that? Am thinking of using it next.

It has a good wit flavour profile?

I would be interested in trying it for a Belgian IPA, something like Raging *****. I love that hop combination of Nugget, Columbus and Amarillo.

Definitely. It's quite wit like. And has a touch of clove to it. It's a fast fermenter as well

Sounds great, not a bit fan of lower attenuation and was planning on throwing some other yeast in after the wit had done what it could to drive down FG a bit. Good I won't have to do that.

Will make a split batch. Half dryhopped with citrusy hops, half not.

Not seeing any mention of the wit strain (m21). Anyone tried that? Am thinking of using it next.

Brewed a wit(ish) wheat beer (used wheat malt instead of flaked wheat), turned out pretty good. I only used a small amount of coriander at 5min.
Fermented at 23C, Smooth mouthfeel with the right amount of yeasty wit character, delicious.

wit.jpg

Back