New Kegging advise.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marjen

Reaction score
So I am just getting into bomebrewing, have not even brewed yet, lol. My preferred style and one I plan to focus on is the NE IPA. I have been getting feedback that this style really needs to be kegged not bottled. SO now I am starting to look into kegging and do not even know where to begin.

I am looking for an affordable 1-2 tap system. Is the Draft Brewer® Twin Keg System a good starting point? Are they better and most cost effective ways to start kegging? Also I see some use a mini frig but some use a freezer, how do you keep the freezers warm enough for beer?

I am a guy who is not afraid to DIY when needed and have some skills with tools so I am also open to DIY approaches but just looking to be pushed in the right direction, thanks.

I love ipa's as well. If you think this will be an ongoing hobby, and if you think you or friends will drink enough, look into making a keezer. That way you can have 4-5 kegs at a time. And it's really easy, just an investment early on. I bottled for the last 2 years, and I wish I'd kegged sooner. Although it gave me time to improve my brewing. It's a small project to convert a freezer into a keezer, but it's awesome having a bar in your house :)

Oh and to address your question of how to keep a freezer warm enough for the beer...you can buy a temperature controller on ebay or amazon for as low as 20$ and it keeps your freezer or fridge within whatever temperature range you want it.

I think I am going to built a keezer. Looks pretty easy and the most cost effective way to get there.

Just gonna throw this out there, brew a batch or two before you jump in and commit to a keezer. Not that you can't and shouldn't get into the hobby but make sure its something you enjoy before committing a decent chunk of change on a keezer.

Back