New guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E5B

Reaction score
Howdy, I justed my second batch (Irish Stout). After I pitched the yeast and sealed it up I realized I over looked something. The instructions said to top with 5 gallons of cold water (6 US gallons). It's on it's 6th day now and done percolating. My question is: when I add the priming sugar, should I add a little more water to it, or just leave it be?

Just leave it be then...your beer will just be a bit stronger than you'd planned, but it will still be good beer.

you can also add a tad when you rack it to secondary. just use pre-boiled and cooled H20. or, as EP said, let 'er ride!

either way, it'll be a quafer!!!

E5B said:
It's on it's 6th day now and done percolating.

I'm looking forward to bottling it tonight.
You say it's done percolating, but are you sure it's done fermenting? Is there any krauzen left, or has it all fallen? Are you using an hydrometer? Particularly since your OG was 16% higher than anticipated, you want to make sure that fermentation is done, or you risk over-carbonating when you bottle. Just a thought.

I used a hydrometer for the OG (1.040). Once it's done percolating is it safe to open it up to take a look. How does one really know when fermenting is complete? The book mentions using a hydrometer to make sure the FG is constant but doesn't mention when to take the readings.

Bare with me fellas...

Beetle

For an OG of 1.040, you'd like the SG to get down to around 1.012 or so. If it's not there yet, then take readings a couple or three days in a row to see if it's still dropping. If it's not dropping it's done, or if it's at say 1.010 then it's for sure done.

Or, you can take the low tech path, and just let it sit two weeks or so before bottling.

yep. that's the rocky head formed during fermentation. if it where me, i'd let it sit a few more days prior to racking....

Latest posts

Back