New guy question about rhizome supplier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullThrottle64

Reaction score
Background: I've been brewing for a few years, recently bought a 30-acre farm in Wisconsin, and am now looking at growing some hops. About half of the land is leased for feed grains, but I have some that I can use to try this out and see if hops like the environment. I have set up a space to put in two rows, but for a variety of reasons ended up ordering a bit late.

One row is Hallertau Mittelfruh; I got 21 plants from Sandy Ridge Farms, planted them the same day, and they all appear to be doing fine (so far).

I ordered 26 Crystal rhizomes from "buyhoprhizomes.com" that have not yet arrived. Tracking shows them to be in the USPS, hopefully to get here Saturday.

Here are my questions:

1) Is there anything special I need to know about planting rhizomes?
2) Is there anything I should look for to indicate that a rhizome is viable or not-viable?
3) Has anyone here had good or bad experience with "buyhoprhizomes.com"? Are they generally considered reputable?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

1 Don't plant them too deep and make sure you let the soil dry out quite a bit before you add more water. You can actually plant them with the top set of buds at or above soil level and then throw some additional soil on them once they're up and running. For some reason (I think hormonal), the fact that those buds are exposed to light seems to speed up the growth cycle, at least it has for me.

2 As long as they're still firm as opposed to soft and mushy you should be fine.

3 I'm pretty sure that farm is out of Maine and they have been working with Crosby Farms out in Oregon for guidance as they set up their operation. I've dealt with Crosby over the years and they're solid folks so I would like to think they make good business decisions and would trust their business affiliations.

Well it took just over a week for them to arrive...but to be fair it was over the holiday weekend. They look OK, so I'll try to get them in the ground later today or first thing tomorrow morning.

The plants that I put in the other row earlier this week seem to be acclimating nicely, so I think that the soil, prep, and drainage is OK.

1 Don't plant them too deep and make sure you let the soil dry out quite a bit before you add more water. You can actually plant them with the top set of buds at or above soil level and then throw some additional soil on them once they're up and running. For some reason (I think hormonal), the fact that those buds are exposed to light seems to speed up the growth cycle, at least it has for me.

2 As long as they're still firm as opposed to soft and mushy you should be fine.

3 I'm pretty sure that farm is out of Maine and they have been working with Crosby Farms out in Oregon for guidance as they set up their operation. I've dealt with Crosby over the years and they're solid folks so I would like to think they make good business decisions and would trust their business affiliations.
Thanks - this is great info.

I got them all in the ground, and while a couple of them didn't look great (two had a bit of white mold and one was a bit soft), they sent me one more than I ordered, so if they all make it I'll call it a good deal.

A bit over a week after planting and there is one plant emerging. Three of the rhizomes were dug up by a groundhog (most likely suspect), I found them early the next morning and re-planted.....hopefully they weren't too damaged by the trauma.

[Edit: Make that 5 plants emerging. On closer inspection, I found several more early shoots, and a couple had multiple sprouts poking through.]

Last edited:
It's now just under 2 weeks from planting, and about half are showing growth, though a couple are just buds without leaves yet. I'm optimistic. though, that the majority of them will take root and get a good start towards next year.

60 days in, 26 of the 27 planted rhizomes have taken, and a number of them have reached waist-high on the trellis. The smallest are at about 12-15", but all seem to be growing and bushing out, with the largest starting to pop some sidearms.

In comparison, all 21 of the rooted cuttings that I planted at roughly the same time are larger, with the healthiest approaching 6 feet. A number of them are getting REALLY bushy for their size; no flowers yet that I can see, but they are first year and I planted late.

I'm going to guess that they are all (or at least most of them) developing enough root structure to make it through the winter. Now if I can just get rid of the leafhoppers and japanese beetles.....ugh.

Interesting that you have no flowers/cones yet, but you did plant a little late.

You have any plans to give them a little potassium this fall?

Back