New Guy - NE Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury413rb

Reaction score
Hey everyone...

I was giving a "craft a brew" kit by my girlfriend for my birthday the other day.

I have friends that do all grain (correct term?) brewing but I never thought I had time to get a home brew going.

Figured I would give this extract kit a shot! The kit is a West Coast IPA and she also got another recipe kit for a hefeweizen, two hop bags and a capping kit. Pretty good gift! I plan on dedicating Saturday morning to getting this started.

I am a process engineer near Akron - just recently relocated out here from Indiana. Anyone from the area? Long time craft beer/brewing supporter and drinker as well.

Thanks and I look forward to the info from the forum and its members.

I'm about 2 hours to the NW in Sheffield village. I do however,have 4 cases of delabeled Sam Adams bottles if you want them. I had to weed out/shrink my collection of bottles. I have other plain bottles to add to my rotation. So the SA bottles are yours if you want them. They're in Leinenkugel 12'r boxes with seperartors too.

I'm about 2 hours to the NW in Sheffield village. I do however,have 4 cases of delabeled Sam Adams bottles if you want them. I had to weed out/shrink my collection of bottles. I have other plain bottles to add to my rotation. So the SA bottles are yours if you want them. They're in Leinenkugel 12'r boxes with seperartors too.

I might take you up on that offer! I am about hour from you it looks like.

I live in Broadview Heights, It's on 77 between Cleveland and Akron. I'm about 15 Minutes from all that big box shopping in Fairlawn.

Welcome to the obsession. I'm in Kent and since you're new to this I'll give a shout out to my LHBS, "Label Peelers." They're in Kent and have good prices, but the reason I bring it up is they have free brewing classes the first Saturday of every month, just call to let them know you're coming. Great knowledgeable guys too!
(Also, yes, "all grain" is the correct term :) )
http://labelpeelers.com/
330-678-6400

-Jason

Welcome to the obsession. I'm in Kent and since you're new to this I'll give a shout out to my LHBS, "Label Peelers." They're in Kent and have good prices, but the reason I bring it up is they have free brewing classes the first Saturday of every month, just call to let them know you're coming. Great knowledgeable guys too!
(Also, yes, "all grain" is the correct term :) )
http://labelpeelers.com/
330-678-6400

-Jason

Thanks!!

What a nice guy! I too have a habit of not being able to return my empties. It's almost like an OCD to rinse them all out and save them for brewing, even though I keg most of my beer now.

Anyway, welcome, fury! I know you will have fun with the hobby and with friends who do AG, I bet it won't be long before you give it a try. There are methods that make it cheap and easy for people with space and $$ limitations too.

Yeah,I just can't bring myself to toss'em. I wanted some more plain bottles in rotation anyway. But I can't use'em all at once. Tomorrow is extra chit pick up day for large junk,etc for garbage pick up. So I took all the extra packing paper,old odd shaped boxes,etc & pilin' them up to toss. Wanna sell my new/never used reclining racing buckets & get this mid'sized fridge I've been eying at homer cheapo or blowe's,whichever it was. Trying to start spring cleaning in the ol' man cave. Wanna put in a wood floor & table. So I was hoping the OP could use these 4 cases of SA bottles I don't need. I just want them to have a good home where they'll lead productive lives...:D

Label peelers are great guys they have helped me through the years of wine making. Hopefully they will help a ton on my beer obsession.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Welcome aboard! I'm about 60 miles east of you right down Rt 224 (can see PA from my front yard, ha). Thirsty Dog is right at the edge of the university in town and has one of the best brewers around. Timmy started his career at Great Lakes in the early 90's and has been around the horn, landing back in Akron sometime in the early 2000's. They have a nice little tap room right at the brewery. Never been to label peelers but have dealt with John at Grape and Granary since they began ('93?). Also, some friends of mine put on a pretty cool beer event: http://www.bigtapin.com/index.php. If you make it, stop by the 'B-Hoppy' booth and say hey! We'll have some rhizomes, tie-dyes and hop candy!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I did the kit on Saturday.

1620467_10103397585114128_814394373_n.jpg

1011250_10103397585213928_276479509_n.jpg

1798123_10103397585413528_131748354_n.jpg

1779063_10103397585543268_663654039_n.jpg

75977_10103397586680988_897980407_n.jpg

After two weeks in the jug I have to add more hops and wait another week before bottling. Had a few friends over this weekend and emptied up about a case of Great Lakes bottles. I'm guessing I might get 8 bottles out of this kit?

Welcome. I'm new here too and live in Houston, but I grew up in Lake County, Painesville to be exact. I saw NE Ohio in the title and had to "hop" in. Pun intended.

Bottled my first two. The IPa and hefeweizen.

There was so much sediment from the dry hopping my yield was a little low on the IPA. Tasted both in the half bottle or so left over and they tasted good and obviously flat. The IPA wasnt as hoppy as expected.

1959579_10103472265818398_2128555011_n.jpg

970770_10103472266082868_732386127_n.jpg

Looking good so far, very addicting hobby! I'm also from NE ohio, we have a lot of great breweries up here you should definitely check out!

One of these days,we should all get together somewhere. It'll be maybe next month before I can resume brewing again. I've had & enjoyed Thirsty Dog's Cerberus triple a couple times when my son brought me back a glass & a few fresh bottles.

I've pretty much only been drinking Fat heads hop juju and great lakes chillwave. we should definitely all get together at some point!

Yeah. Maybe find a brewery with a pub that's kind of central to all? When warm weather returns,that is. I gotta fix the car to get through e-check & got some man cave projects coming in a month or two. I like doing pit bbq as well.

I will be bottling my oatmeal stout today....I am in for joining up somewhere in ohio! NE ohio brews rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Welcome! I live in Twinsburg, which is near another really good homebrew store, Leener's in Northfield.

Great lakes bottles work well, except de-labeling them is an ironclad pain in the rear. If you're ever up near Twinsburg, maybe we can do a bottle exchange...

Maybe look up some craft breweries on google maps or something when we get ready to &/or find out where we all are? I have yet to get together with other home brewers myself. Just trying to improve my finances to where I can fix things,get brewing again,etc in the next couple months.

Welcome! I live in Twinsburg, which is near another really good homebrew store, Leener's in Northfield.

Great lakes bottles work well, except de-labeling them is an ironclad pain in the rear. If you're ever up near Twinsburg, maybe we can do a bottle exchange...

Thats not too far from me. I havent had too much of a problem delabeling the GL bottles.

Maybe look up some craft breweries on google maps or something when we get ready to &/or find out where we all are? I have yet to get together with other home brewers myself. Just trying to improve my finances to where I can fix things,get brewing again,etc in the next couple months.

That would be pretty cool

I'd be happy to meet up as well. I am currently kegging my beers, but I do have a growler filler and a ridiculous number of growlers. Happy to trade a full growler for an empty and some bottles =)

Latest posts

Back