Kölsch 'New England' Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP029
Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.3 estimated (actually more orange)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
60'F for 15 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
65'F for 3 days
Additional Fermentation
45'F for 30 days
Tasting Notes
so much citrus and fruit. Not bitter at all. Like a NEPA in Kolsch form
Code:
Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume       
10.00 g          Phosphoric Acid 10% (Mash)                       Water Agent   1          -             -             
5.00 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   2          -             -             
9 lbs 4.0 oz     Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)                    Grain         3          90.2 %        0.72 gal     
8.0 oz           Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                            Grain         4          4.9 %         0.04 gal     
8.0 oz           Wheat Malt, White (Rahr) (3.2 SRM)               Grain         5          4.9 %         0.04 gal     
5.00 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Boil)                  Water Agent   6          -             -             
2.00 ml          Fermcap-S (Boil)                                 Water Agent   7          -             -             
1.00 oz          Azacca [15.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min                  Hop           8          10.6 IBUs     -             
1.00 oz          Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min                   Hop           9          8.5 IBUs      -             
1.00 oz          Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 5.0 min        Hop           10         8.7 IBUs      -             
1.00 oz          Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min                 Hop           11         0.0 IBUs      -             
2.00 ml          Fermcap-S (Primary)                              Water Agent   12         -             -             
1.0 pkg          German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [35.49 ml Yeast         13         -             -             
1.00 oz          Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days             Hop           14         0.0 IBUs      -             
1.00 oz          Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days               Hop           15         0.0 IBUs      -             
1.00 oz          Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days    Hop           16         0.0 IBUs      -

I started with RO water and added the above minerals to the water before separating it out for mash/sparge water.

Mashed with 15.3qt of water for a target mash temp of 148'F for 60 minutes.

Batch sparged with 5.65 gallons at 168'F.

Collected a little shy of 8 gallons and boiled for 60 minutes, adding hops / adjuncts at the times specified above. Boiled down to about 6.25 gallons. Chilled and did a 20 minute hop stand at 150'F, then cooled to 62'F. Collected 5.5 gallons into the fermenter.

I dry hopped @ 45'F without bagging the pellets 5 days before kegging.

iUXwGrs.jpg

It's only a Kolsch because you used a Kolsch yeast, but it looks and sounds like it's a NEIPA. I bet there are many commercial breweries that use similar yeast, maybe Hefe yeast as well, to brew NEIPAs. I can vouch for K-97 - dry -. It's really good for hoppy styles and it does not really clear, unless you condition/cold crash/gelatin it.

Cheers!

Nice looking beer. How's the flavor?

It's really hard to go wrong with those hops. The amount of citrus and fruit aroma and flavor that the late addition and dry hopping provided is tremendous. I've brewed about 70 batches in my time as a home brewer and this is probably my favorite beer of them all.

It's only a Kolsch because you used a Kolsch yeast, but it looks and sounds like it's a NEIPA. I bet there are many commercial breweries that use similar yeast, maybe Hefe yeast as well, to brew NEIPAs. I can vouch for K-97 - dry -. It's really good for hoppy styles and it does not really clear, unless you condition/cold crash/gelatin it.

Cheers!
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There's not really any kolsch character since it's completely overpowered by the hops. I was debating if I should submit this into the pale ale category of a local competition that's coming up haha.

Kölsch are fermented warm and then lagered. German noble hops only. Typ Pilsner and Vienna malts. That said I do like the head retention of a little wheat.

Never even thought of a citrus Kölsch before. But I bet it tastes great!

Interesting. My NEIPA, which I call 'Nova Scotia PA', has a Scottish ale grain bill and the WY Scottish ale yeast. But I hop it like a NEIPA, and this past year added Spruce tips. It turned out really quite nice.
I guess NEIPA, as an evolving style is open to a lot of different interpretations.

Cheers!

i know Carton in NJ does this a lot - kolsch yeast in NEIPA

Back