New England IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael S. Henry

Reaction score
Finally broke down and tackled my 1st NEIPA today. I’ve been researching this for a long time and just never got around to it.

Golden Promise, Pilsner, Flaked Oats, & a hint of Carafoam. Amarillo, Citra, & Mosaic as the stars of the show.

IMG_0565.JPG
IMG_0566.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_0572.JPG
IMG_0573.JPG

Nice post, it'd be great to see your measurements.

Good luck with first iteration of yours. Biggest thing Ive learned brewing this style is how unimportant the grain bill & hop combos are. These are the most important aspects to success with this style:

1. Lack of Oxygen exposure
2. pH at every step
3. Water composition

Your wort looks dark. And your boil looked intense.

In addition to pbtimmons suggestions, try to keep a rolling boil. Don't rip it full throttle- heat can burn it up and darken your wort.

I actually used bottled spring water from the grocery store on my NEIPAs. It hasn't failed me yet.

Sounds good to me! I brew NEIPA style stuff almost exclusively (every now and then I do a Sip of Sunshine or something) and one thing I learned was don't skimp on carbonation. You want all that tropical juiciness to jump out of the glass or bottle.

Your wort looks dark. And your boil looked intense.

In addition to pbtimmons suggestions, try to keep a rolling boil. Don't rip it full throttle- heat can burn it up and darken your wort.

I actually used bottled spring water from the grocery store on my NEIPAs. It hasn't failed me yet.

Lighting was bad in that photo. It’s actually quite light. I don’t like to over boil either, that was just the hop flare up. [emoji51]

Glad to hear that spring water has worked for you as I always go to Giant and buy spring water for my beers. I’ve been nervous that not making water adjustments was a problem!

I brewed a NEIPA and it tasted fantastic up to about a week after kegging. Then it went down hill. Drinkable but not enjoyable like it was when it was first tapped. I attribute the drop in enjoyment to oxygen exposure. And while it was nice and light color and hazy at the start, when it went downhill, it was dark.

Update: this one is turning out quite nice. It’s not ready and isn’t fully carbonated in the keg yet but I just drank two glasses and thoroughly enjoyed it. Can’t wait to see this one in a week.

Back