New England Grain Buy Sept 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, .75 of a 55lb PBW added (I'll take the full qty if no one else wants the 1/4) and a bag of MOPA.

I make the trip to Windsor Locks 2x/wk and can bring a few bags westward, pm me to arrange

I have some in a fridge that I stepped up a couple times from dregs. Was going to get around to putting it on slants, was just waiting a couple weeks to make sure my slants didnt have any bugs in them. I'll put that on my todo list for tonight or tomorrow.

Do you have any yeasts to trade? I like collecting slants :)

No I don't have anything really, just s04/nitty. I actually plan on starting Conan and using in a similar DIPA soon.

I use Vittles Vault 60lb containers for base malt. One of these will fit a full 55# bag (although you have to store them in the upright position until you've used a few pounds of malt, which is annoying because they don't stack that way)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002H3S5U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I use homer buckets with gamma seals for amounts around ~1/2 of a bag. Anything smaller than that and I use random containers I have lying around. I've been saving the containers that mini-pretzels come in @ costco to save specialty grains + dextrose/DME in, but I only have 1 at the moment.

The gamma seal lids are probably overkill, but I like knowing that the grain is safe in a pest proof container. Had to deal with pantry/indian meal moths once and it was a huge PITA. The ~$7 bucks per lid is well worth the peace of mind.

Also, here is a good article on grain storage:

http://brulosophy.com/2014/10/27/the-beauty-of-bulk-how-i-brew-more-beer-more-often/

Cheers!

**edit - the price of those 60lb containers seems to fluctuate wildly on Amazon. If you keep an eye on them they will go down to $20-25 fairly regularly

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive actually been eyeing the Vittle Vaults. Amazon did a sale on them about a month ago for $26 but according to camelcamelcamel.com that was the lowest theyve been there.

Right now, Petco is doing a Friends and Family sale and you can get a 2 pack of the 60lb Vittle Vaults for $70 if you use coupon FRIENDS.

$35 is about the cheapest I'm finding them anywhere right now.

Ive actually been eyeing the Vittle Vaults. Amazon did a sale on them about a month ago for $26 but according to camelcamelcamel.com that was the lowest theyve been there.

Right now, Petco is doing a Friends and Family sale and you can get a 2 pack of the 60lb Vittle Vaults for $70 if you use coupon FRIENDS.

$35 is about the cheapest I'm finding them anywhere right now.

I saw that sale myself and was considering picking another one up. I grabbed one from Amazon during that sale, $26 seems right, guess I should have said 25-30.

The price fluctuation is frustrating, they were ~$10 more expensive yesterday than they are today! :mad:

$1.50 five gallon buckets from my local dairy (contained syrups) and Gamma Lids from Home Depot. About $7

2 of them will hold a bag of grain. They seal very well.

I had hoped to do this with homer buckets, but I couldn't fit a full bag of grain in 2 of them. Maybe homer buckets are smaller than 5 gal?

I had hoped to do this with homer buckets, but I couldn't fit a full bag of grain in 2 of them. Maybe homer buckets are smaller than 5 gal?

I don't know how this can happen. Homer buckets are 5 gallon, my buckets are the white ones, the same size. I buy sacks of 50 or 55 lbs. One bag of either will fit in 2 buckets. If there is any leftover it would fit in a 2 qt lock and lock box of which I have many for storing my specialty grains.

:confused:

That makes two of us! I'll give it a shot again with a bag from this buy, but last time I couldn't fit my bag of 2-row into 2 homer buckets. Maybe I just suck at using buckets? haha!

I use buckets with the gamma lids, but in order to fit a bag in two buckets, I have to use 1 5 gallon and 1 6 gallon. I got my buckets and lids from ULINE - and from freckle face

http://www.uline.com/BL_8150/Plastic-Pails-and-Lids

http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/gammaseals.html

I haven't checked lately, but these were the best prices I found last time I got them - and they were all food safe plastics as well.

Also, regarding Conan yeast, at least 2 "new" yeast farms are selling it, and different online stores are carrying their product

http://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/vermont-ale

http://www.gigayeast.com/vermont-ipa-yeast-gy054

:confused:

That makes two of us! I'll give it a shot again with a bag from this buy, but last time I couldn't fit my bag of 2-row into 2 homer buckets. Maybe I just suck at using buckets? haha!

Thinking back, maybe I did a brew out of the bag before putting them in the buckets. And on others, put the rest in my lock and lock boxes. I have a lot of those now. $2 - $4 at Ocean State Job Lot, various sizes.

+1 on the homer buckets. As for pest resistance, I can attest that they are totally safe. I've been keeping my house flour in a bucket for 13 years with no contamination, even when other foods in my pantry were infested. As long as there's an intact gasket, you're fine. In fact, I'm pretty sure my flour bucket doesn't even have that any more, and no pests.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Looks like someone went into the sheet and messed with the splits again, there's a split of BZ-DMUN that was over booked at 1.5. I put it back.

m00se, the extra .5 was added in your column. Start a new split of you really do want .5 of BZ-DMUN

There have been other changes in the split section, everyone should keep an eye on their entries to make sure they are what you expect.

How much longer do you think this buy will be open? My club was thinking of doing one but it would be much easier to piggy back on this. I will be talking to the guys Nov 1. I'll get back ASAP because I do need some grains regardless.

Also saw the comments on storage barrels. There is a guy in Loudon, NH that sells these on eBay and Craigslist. They are 14 gallon drums with locking rings. I use them for storage and for large fermentors. Here is an ebay link -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Bar...n-Top-Drum-WClamp-Ring-CIDER-15-/231375167289

He's selling by the pallet of 40 as well, I think that worked out to 9.00 each. He will deliver large orders, real nice guy.

BTW, The Yeast Bay's version of Conan is called Vermont Ale, a great yeast BTW.

A plug for the acid wash #5 split. It is supposed to be effective for removing scale and beer stone from stainless steel without damaging the underlying metal. Judging from the action at the top of the spread sheet one gallon costs about $33 with shipping. The full order is four gallons. A gallon goes a long way since you dilute one ounce to ten gallons for an "acid rinse" and one ounce to one gallon for an "acid wash". I think that you could reuse the diluted solution as long as the pot or keg was washed and rinsed well first.

How much longer do you think this buy will be open? My club was thinking of doing one but it would be much easier to piggy back on this. I will be talking to the guys Nov 1. I'll get back ASAP because I do need some grains regardless.

Also saw the comments on storage barrels. There is a guy in Loudon, NH that sells these on eBay and Craigslist. They are 14 gallon drums with locking rings. I use them for storage and for large fermentors. Here is an ebay link -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Bar...n-Top-Drum-WClamp-Ring-CIDER-15-/231375167289

He's selling by the pallet of 40 as well, I think that worked out to 9.00 each. He will deliver large orders, real nice guy.

BTW, The Yeast Bay's version of Conan is called Vermont Ale, a great yeast BTW.

Those blue barrels are great. Redman found someone on craiglist last time that was selling them for $5 each. I got two and love them. They hold about 70lb of grain or so. I'd be willing to buy 3 more. Maybe we should add a line to the spreadsheet to gauge interest.

As for your club, I don't see why they couldn't join in on this but if you can get an idea of the total amount of bags they might want, that will be a better way to get an idea on whether its possible. We are close to filling 4 pallets. I can probably fit more pallets in my garage if needed. I think more pallets may help drive down the cost per bag of shipping and cost per lb of grain, but Donovan is the one qualified to answer that.

Either way, definitely poll your club members and get an estimate of the total # of bags.

A plug for the acid wash #5 split. It is supposed to be effective for removing scale and beer stone from stainless steel without damaging the underlying metal. Judging from the action at the top of the spread sheet one gallon costs about $33 with shipping. The full order is four gallons. A gallon goes a long way since you dilute one ounce to ten gallons for an "acid rinse" and one ounce to one gallon for an "acid wash". I think that you could reuse the diluted solution as long as the pot or keg was washed and rinsed well first.

The pricing on the spreadsheet is incorrect.

Each gallon is $12.75 + $8 shipping + $15 hazmat fee spread out over all the chemicals.

I'm thinking of adding either a split or full bag of rice hulls. But the pricing on the sheet seems way off. From the catalog, they're 47c a lb, but the sheet has them at $1.89.

Is there any reason for that, or is the catalog right?

I'm thinking of adding either a split or full bag of rice hulls. But the pricing on the sheet seems way off. From the catalog, they're 47c a lb, but the sheet has them at $1.89.

Is there any reason for that, or is the catalog right?

I'd be in for some rice hulls at the catalog pricing if you add a split

Those blue barrels are great. Redman found someone on craiglist last time that was selling them for $5 each. I got two and love them. They hold about 70lb of grain or so. I'd be willing to buy 3 more. Maybe we should add a line to the spreadsheet to gauge interest.

FTR - he also has 30 gallon drums as well as every other type by the trailer load - same with 15.5 SS kegs. I'll try and get an answer on the Buy tomorrow.

hi all,
I just added a bag of rice hulls, but like other comments, I'm hoping that the worksheet price is incorrect, and will be adjusted to the $0.47 in the catalog. If not, then I'm going to have to delete that bag. Thanks, Mort

I'd be in for some rice hulls at the catalog pricing if you add a split

OK, I'll add in a half-bag split, under the assumption that the spreadsheet pricing is off. Since the Split pricing sheet has them at $.83/lb and the Full bag pricing sheet has them at $1.89/lb, I assume that's the case.

Guess I'm going to need a nice big sack for them (I have a couple of spare grain sacks from buying batches of grain at the LHBS).

Hey all on the pricing issue. I will make sure that all the pricing is rectified before I send out the request for payments. So you will be getting the correct charge once the buy is closed.

Also one thing to remember about the rice hulls is that the bail is compressed. So it might be easier to just cut the bail in half and not bother weighting it. When you fluff it up it takes a ton of space.

Also one thing to remember about the rice hulls is that the bail is compressed. So it might be easier to just cut the bail in half and not bother weighting it. When you fluff it up it takes a ton of space.

Yeah, I was guessing that. I was reckoning on two grain sacks for half a bale if it did uncompress. I'm happy to just cut it in half and shove a sack or trash bag over it.

Hey everyone we have less then 20 bags to go to fill the order. One thing to remember is that I am going to start the next buy in 6 months. So I would expect that we won't get the grain for around 8 months from when this closes. So stock up with enough to last you that amount of time. Grain in sealed barrels or buckets will last 2 years plus.

Also we have had a ton of generous people that have donated to the organizers. I would like to say thank you for myself and Aslander. If you don't know how the donations work just go to the bottom of the page and put in a dollar amount you would want to donate. A donation of $5 each is more then appreciated.

Thanks
Donovan

Back