New Brewing Setup, looking for a little advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sippin37

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Moving outside so I can do full 5 gallon extract batches since my stove can't bring more than 2.5 gallons of water to a boil. Got the Blichmann burner and a keggle. My question is really about doing the steeping grains and then moving into the boil, that area of the brew day.

Do you find it better to steep the grains in your keggle then add more water to reach about 6-6.5 gallons and get ready to boil? Or steep the grains in a separate pot inside and then just add to your keggle once that is already just about at a boil?

Edit: My old method had me heating 2.5 gallons of water, steeping the grains in that and then just bringing up to a boil. But I have read on here that you only want about 1.5-2 quarts of water per lb. of grain when steeping. So that is really why I wasn't sure the best method for doing this.

Just get a grain bag and hang it into your keggle and use a clamp on top to loop the string around.

You probably read that you only want about 1.5 to 2 quarts water per lb. of grain when mashing, which is slightly different than steeping. You don't really need to worry about your ratio of water to grains when steeping. Since you don't really need to steep in all of the water, I would go with a smaller amount just so you can get it to temperature a little quicker, say half. Go ahead and do it all in the same pot, as that's just one less piece of equipment you'll have to clean at the end of the day.

Latest posts

Back