New brewery need setup advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobP

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally found a blichmann top tier. Its still packed in the back of my Land Rover because I drove all day to pick it up and got home late. But its a sweet, hardly used , 3 burner 20 gal pot system. It includes a blichmann tower of power HLT controller. It has all QC fittings and Blichmann auto spare and a ss wort chiller. Plus he threw in a bunch of extras. Stir-plate, refractometer, large 4 ft. oxygen bottle with regulator and diffusion stone. ph meters (2) etc. all for 1000.00.I plan on adding a pump and maybe a plate chiller. But I have a question. The HLT has no false bottom (of course). The mash tun does (of course) But the boil kettle doesn't have a false Botton or a pickup tube. Should I spring for a replacement false bottom and pickup? Or go a different way?My old BK has a false bottom. Looking forward to everyones advice.

Maybe a bazooka screen?

Are you worried about the hop additions making it into the FV? A good whirlpool will help with that without a false bottom or bazooka screen. When I first started out on my stovetop I just threw everything into the FV and never had any ill affects.

Time to get the project started. First: unload. where's those big strong nephews when you need em!! Oh the mash tun is riding shotgun.

Attachments

• IMG_1198.jpeg
    IMG_1198.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
Are you worried about the hop additions making it into the FV? A good whirlpool will help with that without a false bottom or bazooka screen. When I first started out on my stovetop I just threw everything into the FV and never had any ill affects.
Yes trying to keep the wort clean. You know like AC DC says. She was a bad machine She kept her wort damn clean She was the best damn brewer that I'd ever seen. (Sorry to much coffee)

Yes trying to keep the wort clean. You know like AC DC says. She was a bad machine She kept her wort damn clean She was the best damn brewer that I'd ever seen. (Sorry to much coffee)

Whirlpool that bad boy! Also, a hop bag/spider will help keep wort clear as well.

Time to get the project started. First: unload. where's those big strong nephews when you need em!! Oh the mash tun is riding shotgun.
Sweet find!
Kind of a scary ride with that oxygen bottle without it's cap on :oops:

Sweet find!
Kind of a scary ride with that oxygen bottle without it's cap on :oops:
The cap was on during transport. I took it off to measure the bottle. I was curious to what size it was. Stood it up and put the regulator on to se how much was left. Then then shut it off and set it back in the car. Had to move some stuff in the garage before I unloaded. I was a welder for a few years. I saw an argon bottle get dropped and it turned into a torpedo. Thankfully no-one was hurt.

Last edited:
Hey, a fellow Top-Tier owner! Here's a photo of my setup. I've used a single pump for some time (recently switched from Chugger to Blichmann) and put it to good use with RIMS, SS counterflow chiller, and Brewhardware Spincycle whirlpool arm. I WP with a TrubTrapper at the bottom of the BK, which helps some.

20210417_110341-edit.jpg

Wow nice setup. Here's about as far as I've gotten up till now. I just ordered the Blichman riptide and mounting bracket.

Attachments

• new brew jpg.png
    new brew jpg.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
Oh man, you are going to have a Ton O' Fun with that bit of kit.

Do a wet run with it. Do a batch with water only, no grain. Make sure nothing leaks. Do all your brew steps, and see how it all works. Get the kinks worked out. You will have a few oh sh*t moments that you overlooked.

as its configured right now its 6 ft to the top of the top burner. that may change in the future for brewing in the garage. the nice thing about a top tier is you can use gravity as your friend. I'll be using just one pump.

thanks Rufus that's the plan. a water only first run I still have to mount the pump and play with the tower of power controller unit the runs the HLT

Last edited:
I think I figured out what that funny looking narrow shelf is for right below the HLT burner.

Attachments

• IMG_1200.jpg
    IMG_1200.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 28
Back