New brewer from VA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hutch4six

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestions? Just transferred a white wheat to secondary and seeing white spots on the top layer of the brew. Is this ok? This is my third homebrew and my first partial mash.

Hi Hutch!
I don't have much experience, but I'm pretty sure you're ok. It's probably yeast that got re-activated during the transferring from 1 to 2.
Good Luck!
Sarah.

I am thru there all the time and it certainly is growing fast! There is a home brew store called wild wolf brewing company in Nelson county that's not to far from you! The managers name is Josh they are building a brew pub restaurant. Currently making some great beer on a 20 gallon set up. Have you checked out Blue mountain brewery?

Yeah, this town is really growing up. Wild wolf is where I'm getting most of my homebrew supplies. Me and my wife just went to blue mountain last week. There is another brewery down 151 closer to wintergreen called Devils Backbone and is one of my favorites. Happy brewing!

Most likely those are yeast rafts... Little white bits fairly small? if you look at them, they look like they really are more little clumps of even smaller white spots? The yeast can do that some times.

What to do? nothing wait till you bottle. If they are still there, you probably will want to avoid bottling them, harmful? no, but most like clean looking beer.

Oh and taste youre beer when you test the gravity (or rack or bottle) to have an idea how it is going. It should taste beer like, although warm and flat.

Back