New brewer from Lake Villa, Illinois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howiehandles

Reaction score
Finally took the plunge, and I'm on my second homebrew.

First was a wheat, extract kit, which just finished conditioning, and has 3 more weeks in the bottle.

My second, which I made on Sunday, is a Cru, martial extract, with coriander, organge peel, and chamomile (which I added, as Celis White was the first beer that I had on tap, where I went "WOW"...this was in the mid 90s) anywho, Pierre Celis stated that chamomile was his secret ingredient, and I thought, if it was good enough for him, its good enough for me.

Waiting on it to ferment. Unfortunately, I believe that putting the bucket outside to cool before pitching the yeast may have slowed down the fermentation time. I pitched the Wyeat at 11pm CST on Sunday, and as of this a.m., no bubbles in the lock. I did move it from the basement to an upstairs closet, as its at least 10 degrees warmer up there. Trying not to panic, as I have high hopes for this brew. After reading the post about all grain brewing on a stove top, I'm looking to do that next. I'd like to credit the person who posted that, but I've only been on this site once, but his inspiration resulted in my paid membership, and my intent to go all grain, most of the time, from here on out. There was a blood orange weiss that looked awesome, again, from this site, so that may sidetrack me.

Anywho, I love what I've read so far. This is without doubt the best site I've seen for homebrewers.

Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't panic about fermentation just yet. It's only been 36 hours; these things can take time, especially without a yeast starter. If you could tell us the pitching and current temperature, and the yeast strain, that might tell us if you have a real problem, but I doubt it. If you pitched cold it may just take a few days. Also, don't depend on the airlock much to tell you about fermentation. It's not a fermentation indicator, it's just an environment regulator. If the bucket lid doesn't seal completely it may not bubble at all; 2 out of my 3 buckets do this to some degree.

Look in the bucket for foam on the beer; that's a better indicator. But don't do so too often; you want to keep the environment as sterile as possible. And the only real indication of yeast activity is hydrometer readings.

Welcome to HBT! Sounds like you have the skills. You have definately gone after an interesting beer with the CRU!! :D

Cheers! :mug:

Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't panic about fermentation just yet. It's only been 36 hours; these things can take time, especially without a yeast starter. If you could tell us the pitching and current temperature, and the yeast strain, that might tell us if you have a real problem, but I doubt it. If you pitched cold it may just take a few days. Also, don't depend on the airlock much to tell you about fermentation. It's not a fermentation indicator, it's just an environment regulator. If the bucket lid doesn't seal completely it may not bubble at all; 2 out of my 3 buckets do this to some degree.

Look in the bucket for foam on the beer; that's a better indicator. But don't do so too often; you want to keep the environment as sterile as possible. And the only real indication of yeast activity is hydrometer readings.

I used a kit from a local supply shop. The Wyeast was a Belgian Abbey yeast, liquid. The pitching temp, according to my thermometer, was in the lower 60s, def lower than required, but it was late, and I needed to go to bed. Making the wort took me longer than I expected. Definitely looking at wort chillers for the next batch, as it took too long IMO, for the wort to chill (covered) outside. I did vigorously stir the wort for a good minute or two before pitching. I did re-use a lid from my first brew, it was cleaned and sanitized, but not on there as solidly as the first one. I should probably go out and grab a new lid. I have weight on it, and its closed on the bucket, not as tight as the first one. I'm thinking I'll do the carboys next batch. I liked the idea of using two smaller carboys, as they'd be easier to handle. But again, this is all new to me. Learning by doing, and it sure is fun doing.

Welcome, Howiehandles, to the addiction we all jokingly call "brewing." And welcome, too, to HBT! And I KNOW where Lake Villa is! Enjoy the fun!

glenn514:mug:

Pitching in the low 60's should be just fine. A bit low, but not a real problem. Just wait another day or two and I'll wager it'll pick up.

Just a tip I've learned over time making Belgian ales: Belgian yeasts tend to develop the best character at higher temps than most yeasts. Many belgian brewers allow their beers to get into the low 80's during primary, though I wouldn't recommend going above 80 on a homebrew scale. I never really got too much 'belgian' character when I fermented at lower ale temperatures, as I would a British ale. An ambient temperature of about 72*F is about ideal in most cases, the yeast takes it up the rest of the way.

Alternatively, lower temperatures will still ferment fine and create a more mild belgian character. Depends on what you're looking for.

I used to live in Round Lake Beach, so I know exactly where you are. I have since moved to TN. But welcome to brewing. Its the most rewarding hobby I know of.

I'm having a blast so far. I'd love to brew everyday, but don't think the wife would be too happy...hmmmm

Amazing response so far. Glad I joined.

Back