New BIAB False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That size is going to be the first lot of a redesign. It's going to be about another 3 weeks before I see them. Don't despair, it will be worth the wait.

Cool, just in time for Christmas!
Now, Part B: can I use the loc line recirc kit to whirlpool, or will it not work on near boiling wort?

That size is going to be the first lot of a redesign. It's going to be about another 3 weeks before I see them. Don't despair, it will be worth the wait.

Care to share some details of the redesign? I've been happy with my v1.0, but can always be convinced to spend more money.

The new 14-3/4" diameter BIAB false bottoms are in and they are awesome. Way stronger in every way.

BIAB_NEW_1475.jpg

BIAB_NEW_1475_close.jpg

The new 14-3/4" diameter BIAB false bottoms are in and they are awesome. Way stronger in every way.

These are the keg size right?

My opening is not nearly 14.75", are people notching their kegs to get these in, or could they be made to fold like a false bottom?

Bobby, I use your 13" FB in my bayou classic 1044 but I'm going to switch to a boilcoil. That means I'll need to lift the FB 4.5" from bottom. If I can find the right screws and they don't interfere with the element do you see any other issues I might have?

I have run a few brews through this false bottom and it works great with my recirculation and keeps it off the element nicely. Cleaning up after the boil, there are a lot of nooks and crannies that are filled with trub. Does anybody remove this false bottom preboil? And what do you use to get it out?

I have run a few brews through this false bottom and it works great with my recirculation and keeps it off the element nicely. Cleaning up after the boil, there are a lot of nooks and crannies that are filled with trub. Does anybody remove this false bottom preboil? And what do you use to get it out?
Yes I remove mine preboil because I find with my boilcoil, big hop screen, and then the immersion chiller, it's just easier. I fashioned a hook out of a wire coat hanger and pull up from the center...

I used to remove mine preboil by tethering the FB with some wire but now that I'm playing around with an immersion chiller, I leave it in place to keep the chiller off the element. I just spray it off with high pressure water.

I am thinking about purchasing for a 15 gallon boilermaker with boilcoil. I saw on earlier post where someone fit the old design with the boilcoil, but I am curious if the new design also works with the boil coil? I'm not sure if the redesign caused the legs/bolts to be relocated. Anyone ?

I’m looking into buying a false bottom for my 15 gallon bayou classic. I want to buy the 14.75 false bottom but it’s going to be tight due to the lip on the kettle. It measures exactly 14.75. The diameter on the bottom of the kettle is 15”, would there be a problem if I buy the 13” diameter false bottom? Would I need to worry about the bag going into the sides of the false bottom?

I’m looking into buying a false bottom for my 15 gallon bayou classic. I want to buy the 14.75 false bottom but it’s going to be tight due to the lip on the kettle. It measures exactly 14.75. The diameter on the bottom of the kettle is 15”, would there be a problem if I buy the 13” diameter false bottom? Would I need to worry about the bag going into the sides of the false bottom?

I use the 14.75" in my 15.5 Bayou Classic model 1060, I don't see why it wouldn't work in yours.

I know this is an old thread, but has anybody used one of these in a 20 gallon Blichmann pot with the boilcoil? It seems like the legs would be right where the coil goes.

nice solution. Very similar to what I put inside my steamer basket to improve flow. Yep, a traditional FB does not work well with a fine BIAB crush.

Bobby_M: What are the diameter tolerances for these? I have a 20 gal kettle with an ID of 17-11/16" near the bottom, and am interested in the 17.5" model. (The 15.5 would be too small for this, but would work fine in my 15 gal kettle.) If the FB is spot-on 17.5" dia. it would fit with 3/16" dia clearance, no problemo.

I brew over propane, and only have a 2" long dial thermometer probe 2.5" above the bottom, which is no issue, as I'd get a FB with 3.25" legs.

If you say it's exact, good enough for me. Will put in an order for two of them soon. Thanks.
Here's My 17.5 in my 17 11/16 kettle - such a perfect fit. Note that any differences in the fit around it are because I've got the kettle out of round over the years rather than the false bottom.

20210413_163423.jpg

Received my false bottoms the other day. They did need a few minutes with a small file and sandpaper to smooth over some burrs on the ends of the wire along the edges, but that's to be expected. If I had a stainless wire wheel I would've used that.

The 17.5" fits perfectly in my 20 gallon Concord kettle, with just a few mm clearance around the edges, similar to @fragged. The 15.5" fits my 15 gal Concord, with about 1/2" clearance around the edges. Will be trying the smaller one when I brew next weekend. Look forward to being able to bump mash temp with the gas burner and not worrying about scorching.

I made a little hook grabber thingy out of some stainless safety wire, so I can lift out the false bottom after mashout. @Bobby_M, maybe you should make a little retrieval tool to sell with the false bottoms.

I used to remove mine preboil by tethering the FB with some wire but now that I'm playing around with an immersion chiller, I leave it in place to keep the chiller off the element. I just spray it off with high pressure water.

What is your honest personal opinion of putting your chiller on your element, and why?

what is the reason why Brewhardware only offers the 4 sizes for the false bottom.
if my memorery serves me right, i Need a 4 inch leg. So I am needing to cut the legs (5 1/4) to size, so that I may bag is just sitting above my Element.

What is your honest personal opinion of putting your chiller on your element, and why?

what is the reason why Brewhardware only offers the 4 sizes for the false bottom.
if my memorery serves me right, i Need a 4 inch leg. So I am needing to cut the legs (5 1/4) to size, so that I may bag is just sitting above my Element.

I'm sure the element can withstand the weight of the chiller so that is not the primary motive. I have just tried leaving it in and removing it and it makes no difference in whirlpool performance. That means I can be lazy and leave it in and the end result is I can drop the chiller in without being careful.

We offer 5 diameters of false bottom and 4 leg lengths. The leg lengths coincide with common needs we have ascertained over a few years. We can buy them in 5mm increments but didnt want to be required to monitor and replenish inventory like a hardware store. I worked out a way of having adjustability but it is twice as costly.

You can always order longer bolts and hacksaw them to the desired length.

As for diameters of false bottoms, there are enough sizes available that you will not likely have a situation with more than 1/2" gap around the edges. Doubtful that the bag will drop through an opening that narrow.

As for diameters of false bottoms, there are enough sizes available that you will not likely have a situation with more than 1/2" gap around the edges. Doubtful that the bag will drop through an opening that narrow.
Received mine the other day... great fit & finish... looking forward to seeing how well it works with my setup. Just a tip for those choosing to shorten the bolts... screw on a nut (M8) before using the hacksaw, then remove the nut and it will reset the thread that was deformed during the cut.

as far as the diameters are concern, mine fits very nicely. If you were not referring to my questions, i do apologize. I do plan to cut my legs down to fit my better( closer to my element) I just haven't gotten around to it, other projects keep interfering.

I'm sure the element can withstand the weight of the chiller so that is not the primary motive. I have just tried leaving it in and removing it and it makes no difference in whirlpool performance. That means I can be lazy and leave it in and the end result is I can drop the chiller in without being careful.

We offer 5 diameters of false bottom and 4 leg lengths. The leg lengths coincide with common needs we have ascertained over a few years. We can buy them in 5mm increments but didnt want to be required to monitor and replenish inventory like a hardware store. I worked out a way of having adjustability but it is twice as costly.

I guess I'm am just to slow to ask the question. At the time I got my False bottom, you only had 4 leg sizes.. I am glad to see that you have added more sizes in legs as well as diameters. From the few orders I have place with you(brew hardware), there has never been in complication, and you (brew hardware) has always been helpful.

I tried one of the false bottoms yesterday. Brewed a Witbier in my Concord 15g kettle on a propane burner. The 15.5" dia FB fit well inside the kettle, with just 1/2" gap around the edges. With 8 gal strike water there was plenty of room for grains, even with the 3-3/4" bolts. I don't insulate the kettle and it was in the 40s in my garage, so it was nice to take a couple temp readings along the way and bump the heat w/o worrying about scorching the bag or creating hot spots in the mash.

After the rest I hoisted out the bag, no snags. Then I removed the FB and brought the wort to a boil.

Since my kettle's thermo probe is only about 2.25" above the bottom, the bolts set the FB higher than I need. So today I cut some length off the bolts and it now sits with the rim just above the probe.

20210425_155614a.jpg

I also trimmed the bolts for the 17.5" FB in my 20 gal kettle. Haven't used that one yet, but the fit is even closer, just a few mm around the rim.

In all, I'm very pleased with the FB.

Just chiming in to say how well the Brewhardware FB worked for me. 2 vessel, kettle rims, recirculating mash setup using The Brew Bag. Tightened my mill to .030 with no stuck mash issue whatsoever. Think I'll tighten to .025 for my next brew. Had to customize it so it would fit under my PU tube. With the FB placed above my PU tube, the MT required too much wort volume in order to properly cover the top of the grain bed which left an uncomfortably slim margin of wort above my heating element in the BK during the recirculation. I simply removed one section of mesh and with a little fidgeting, the PU tube sets in perfectly. Think I'm done with modifications for the near term.... sure... who am I kidding!
IMG_4244D.JPG
IMG_4242D.JPG

Back