Using a pizza screen as a false bottom for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozltovcoktail

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I’m (still) planning my first BIAB all-grain 5 gallon batch, and the last piece of equipment I need is some sort of buffer between the bottom of my kettle and the bag I’ll be using. I know that some people’s opinion is that you either don’t need to add heat during mashing if you insulate the kettle, or that you can add heat safely by simply lifting up the bag while the burner is on. Still, I like the idea of there being a buffer just in case.

I’ve been looking into converting a pizza pan into a false bottom, and I came across an option on Amazon.com that I haven’t seen yet on these forums, which is of a pizza *screen*. This is different than a perforated pizza pan in that is actually uses aluminum mesh instead of a sheet of aluminum with holes in it.

Here’s the pizza screen I’m looking at: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CIEJZG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The potential advantage I see here is increased water circulation/convection. Do you all have any opinions on whether I need to be concerned about water circulation if I used a pizza pan such as this, like other people have: http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/browne-halco/57-5354/p7325.aspx

The only disadvantage I can think of with a screen is that it might tear at the places where I’d have to put holes in it for bolts to act as legs, but I’m guessing it’s relatively sturdy. I’m also not sure if gunk might get caught in the mesh. It’s hard for me to tell how fine it is.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey folks!

I’m (still) planning my first BIAB all-grain 5 gallon batch, and the last piece of equipment I need is some sort of buffer between the bottom of my kettle and the bag I’ll be using. I know that some people’s opinion is that you either don’t need to add heat during mashing if you insulate the kettle, or that you can add heat safely by simply lifting up the bag while the burner is on. Still, I like the idea of there being a buffer just in case.

I’ve been looking into converting a pizza pan into a false bottom, and I came across an option on Amazon.com that I haven’t seen yet on these forums, which is of a pizza *screen*. This is different than a perforated pizza pan in that is actually uses aluminum mesh instead of a sheet of aluminum with holes in it.

Here’s the pizza screen I’m looking at: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CIEJZG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The potential advantage I see here is increased water circulation/convection. Do you all have any opinions on whether I need to be concerned about water circulation if I used a pizza pan such as this, like other people have: http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/browne-halco/57-5354/p7325.aspx

The only disadvantage I can think of with a screen is that it might tear at the places where I’d have to put holes in it for bolts to act as legs, but I’m guessing it’s relatively sturdy. I’m also not sure if gunk might get caught in the mesh. It’s hard for me to tell how fine it is.

Thoughts?

I'm still of the opinion that you don't need to add heat since conversion happens so quickly if your grain is milled fine. I just did a batch with a 10 minute mash and hit my numbers dead on. I'll have the results of the FG in another couple of weeks. However, that didn't answer your question.:D

You'll only experience melting of the bag if it is in direct contact with the pot so even just the addition of the screen might be enough separation. If you're still worried, lay a few stainless steel bolts in the pot first to get that much more separation and lay the pizza screen on top of them. No holes in the screen to tear. :rockin:

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, there will be no galvanic corrosion to worry about with aluminum and stainless steel. In cast, if you're putting bolts into aluminum, stainless is what you *should* use, just for that reason.

Hi All,
I currently use a fairly tight piece of perforated stainless in my ebiab setup to keep the bag off the elment and above the PID sensor.

It acts as a heat barrier and if I dont stir constantly I will have a 7 degree difference above and below the stainless.

I am going to try a piece of expanded stainless with bigger diamonds in it to see if it will help resolve this without stirring so much.

When I used Gas I did not use anything in the kettle.
I just used 3 clamps to keep the bag off the bottom of the kettle if I wanted to add any heat... never had an issue.

Kevin

The pizza screens I have seen are fairly lightweight, I doubt it would be strong enough to stand on several bolts acting as legs. Just the screen in the bottom of the pot would likely work, but as said above, stirring is required if adding heat to distribute the heat. I feel if you stir while adding heat gently, the bag will not scorch

Back