Small Bottom Blues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whovous

Waterloo Sunset
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My setup is EBIAB in a six gallon pot. Recirculating mash, no sparge. The pot is a Bayou Classic 1124 - the one with the steamer basket insert. I use a Wilser bag. I want to lose the insert and move to a false bottom with legs long enough to keep it clear of my heating element and the valve.

Will this work? http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/False_Bottom_Custom_Size_11_and_1-16_inch_12_inch.html
My big concern is whether it will impede circulation of the wort. I am not especially concerned about the price. I like Bobby M's solution, but he has made it clear there is never going to be one small enough for my pot.

Sure it may work? Issue is the minimal open area of a standard false bottom can cause the mash to stick if you are recirculating too fast or your crush is too fine or both.

That is why bobby came up with the BIAB false bottomconcept to eliminate issues folks were having with a standard FB.

So if you use a coarse crush, maybe use rice hulls, recirc slowly, don't use wheat or rye, maybe it will work....

Sorry but I don't think there is a simple answer that will make you happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
This rack was suggested in another thread:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IR3XA9Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The only flaw I see is that it is less than an inch high. Any ideas on making it taller without sacrificing strength and stability?

The small 5/32" holes and its matrix in a standard false bottom prevent the bag from draining. IOW, there's too much material, and not large enough holes.

Bobby's build is a good false bottom solution for BIAB.

The rack off Amazon should work fine. If you need more height, follow Bobby's example and put bolt legs on it with (large) washers. If turns out not be strong enough, double it up, or put some legs (supports) in the center area (clear from the element) or mount a SS rod across.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Bobby would just make one small enough for me, my troubles would be over.

I am concerned about stability of nuts and bolts given the size of the mesh in my Amazon screen, and was hoping for some way to create small stands of some sort for the existing legs. I guess that does not make a lot of sense.

I may buy the screen and try clamping it between a washer sandwich, if that makes sense. Put a washer on the long screw, put the screw through the mesh, put another washer on the screw, and then tighten it all together with a nut. I worry about the long-term cleanliness of the space between the washers though, because I do not see me taking this apart for cleaning very often at all. Seems like my best bet however.

Back