New Beer's Secret Ingredient - Oven Mitt - Is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LloydRenee

Reaction score
We may have had an epic fail this weekend. As we bottled our first beer ever we decided to brew another batch:rockin:. It was to be an Imperial Blonde. I am known as the Kitchen Nazi:( by my friends and family because I tend to be so controlling there. "No Soup For You!" I love to cook, they love me took but that being said this is a joint adventure with a buddy of mine so I eased up my dominating personality and let the hops roll.

At some random point in the Wort making process my friend decided to cover the boil pot so that we could get the boil rolling again. He didnt realize that he also put an oven mitt in the pot along with the lid. It was dry on top so it wasnt in there too long but who knows what happens with this batch. So many things seemed off. I bit my tongue though and we continued on and finished the batch. It is now fermenting. It started to ferment really quick too!

Will it be ruined? I dont have high hopes for the next batch but we shall see. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Oy Ve. This is what I get for not being my normal Kitchen master self lol.:fro:

It will be fine. Far worse things have fallen into a boil. It won't be infected because you dropped it into boiling water. In fact, you sterilized half your oven mit in the process. There may be some fuzzies floating in your wort (unless you got them out), but again, those will be sterile.

I wouldn't worry about it.

If it had fallen into the fermenting bucket after the wort had cooled, you'd probably be screwed -- I imagine oven mitts are great breeding grounds for bacteria. But in the boil? No prob. Nothing can survive that.

Once I dropped a dirty dish rag into my bottling bucket. I racked it off and drank the batch within about the next 90 days.....no problem. I wouldn't recomend the technique but I would say you will be fine.

No,sorry...the oven mitt is ruined. Bury it & sprinkle it with holy water in the hope it won't haunt your brew kettle. You know what happens with possessed objects...:drunk:

Back