New 30" RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hi,
Some pics of my new RIMS.
Watlow 1500 Watts / 120 Volts - 30" long element, ebay special. Running about 2 gallons a minute. I have not measured the gpm rate to be sure.
This design is all @augiedoggy inspired, and it WORKS!!!!!!!

Custom made tube made of 1" TC ferrule with a hole drilled in it then a barb fitting soldered to the ferrule, that 1.5" long ferrule is soldered to 30 something 1" tube then a another hole drilled in the other end with a 1/4 npt coupler soldered for the temp sensor and last a camlock fitting soldered to the end of the 1" tube.
The element has 1/2 NPT thread on the end and I have a drilled TC cap that it mounted to, so one 1.5 TC clamp holds it and 2 camlocks on the input and output. Super easy to clean and take apart. Element is 5/8" diameter, inside of the tube is about 7/8 plus, not much wort lingers in tube with the small diameter for wort passage.
Running full recirc starting at 132 and ramping over time up to 172. Crystal clear wort. Grinding at about .40 gap.

I am mashing 19 gallons of water and 28 pounds of grain in custom MT that is 2 kegs welded together, about 22 gallons total of water/grain. I use a bag and a big holed false bottom. I have my hoses short, nothing is insulated and am using a 24v "tan brew pump" with the PS set at 20 volts. I have kept my runs short as I could ... bottom drained MT(keggle) goes to the tan pump then a T ball valve then the input of tube then out into custom mash cap...repeat :)

2 minutes to ramp up one degree, even going up to 172 mashout temps.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for all the people who inspired this.

haeffnkr

IMG_20190412_165010.jpeg
IMG_20190412_094607_01.jpeg
IMG_20190412_122155.jpeg
IMG_20190405_132842.jpeg
IMG_20190405_130331.jpeg
IMG_20190405_130347.jpeg

Last edited:
Seems with an element of that length, and with a relatively low power rating that it should be a fairly low watt density.

Does your double-stack welded keggle have a drain in the bottom? Looks like it could be a challenge to clean.

looks good!
Something you might want to consider with the pump is instead of driving it with lower voltage, I would (and do) use pwm speed control to pulse the motor at a controllable speed with a dial. This will allow you to start your flow speed very slow and gradually increase it over the first few minutes... I also suspect you can mill finer if you like with your bag and fb..

something like this..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DC-5V...598467?hash=item3d43ce4c43:g:LBoAAOSwqOtZgEQu

Back