Never had PBR - what to expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Silly, I am toying with the idea of buying a case of PBR - don't really know why, just have a long week of interior wall prep and painting ahead, and thinking PBR would be a nice diversion, maybe..?

What should I expect, taste-wise?

Not much, IMO. It goes down easy when its cold. I say go for it, or Miller High Life, Champagne of beers.... I'm not against these beers, they have their purpose

Expect an American Lager. You may not love it, but it is pretty good for what it is. Buy a package of brats with your PBR and use some to boil them.

As you suggested PBR is great for manual labor or grilling on a hot day.

I <3 PBR. It's better than drinking soda but don't expect it to get you drunk. One thing that I've noticed is that it really shines when you drink it out of a glass. Try it, you'll never go back to swilling it from a can. Besides, if you have it after a pint of an IPA or APA, leave a little bit in the bottom and it'll have a little more flavor.

PBR is smooth and basically flavorless. The epitome of BMC beers. It's a hot item in Portland, for some strange reason.

Laurel! I haven't seen you around in awhile, how's the new job treating you?

PBR is smooth and basically flavorless. The epitome of BMC beers. It's a hot item in Portland, for some strange reason.

PBR had a hipster resurgence a couple of years ago, when it was the beer to drink if you wanted to look cool and disaffected. That said, it's nice and smooth, maybe a tick up from Budweiser. Not a ton of flavor, but good when you're hot and not looking to contemplate the mysteries of your beer's soul.

I've never had one either. Going by the comments I think I will try some next time my pipeline is busted. I have no axe to grind with a really cold BMC as a tool to cut through crap in the mouth.

I have learned two things in life. (1) Always have a BMC back up plan. (2) Always know where your towel is (Thank you Douglas) :)

PBR was always my "go to" BMC beer, until Schlitz was made again with the old recipe. I think Schlitz is a little bit better than PBR, but either are really good.

There's a bar in Milwaukee that Sause dragged me past last year, or the year before. They have **** beer Sundays, and PBR is $1 a bottle. Well worth the $1, I'll tell you!

as has been said, that or the high life will not steer you wrong. it's good clean ummerikan macro brew. you can also drink upwards of thirty of these little cans and still walk with a swagger. that's why they cost less than fifty cents a pop... :drunk:

I used to work with a hillbilly who would say "If the Lord made anything better than PBR he kept it for himself."
I keep some around for emergency beer and for cooking. It makes a great pizza crust.

PBR is, in my opinion, the best cheap beer. its definitely not my first choice, but if it was between BMC or PBR i would go with a PBR anyday.

PBR had a hipster resurgence a couple of years ago, when it was the beer to drink if you wanted to look cool and disaffected. That said, it's nice and smooth, maybe a tick up from Budweiser. Not a ton of flavor, but good when you're hot and not looking to contemplate the mysteries of your beer's soul.

Just had a conversation with a hipster colleague of mine. He is convinced that the time of craft beers is over, and has been replaced by PBR.

I don't buy that, but PBR is good for what it is.

:off:
FWIW, For people who buy ethically, though (can't say I do most of the time), Pabst is one of the worst breweries in the country when looked at from the environment, human rights, community involvement etc stuff.

If youre anything like me expect a headache. No matter what i drink if I have one PBR it's headache city the next day.

I just tried one a couple of weeks ago. It was ok. Much better than the "Nasty Ice" I bought for beer can chicken. uck.

I'd drink it over Bud. Maybe nto as good as Strohs for me. Not sure why, but I kind of like Strohs. Still looking to try the new old Schlitz.

Silly, I am toying with the idea of buying a case of PBR - don't really know why, just have a long week of interior wall prep and painting ahead, and thinking PBR would be a nice diversion, maybe..?

What should I expect, taste-wise?
Something akin to Blatz, which is ok once in awhile. If you're going to drink a cheap, commercial beer then I would recommend (in no particular order):

1. Pabst
2. Blatz
3. Schlitz
4. Hamm's

PBR is good. I just tried National Bohemian for the first time last week and I like it better then PBR. Put some Old bay on the rim of the can and you have a Maryland Margarita!

FWIW, For people who buy ethically, though (can't say I do most of the time), Pabst is one of the worst breweries in the country when looked at from the environment, human rights, community involvement etc stuff.

Huh? I believe that the real PBR brewery has been closed for quite sometime and PBR has been brewed by Miller for like 10 years.

Huh? I believe that the real PBR brewery has been closed for quite sometime and PBR has been brewed by Miller for like 10 years.

Yeah, it's like Rainier, I saw that stuff disappear for several years and then all the sudden it was back on store shelfs. Someone must have picked up the name.

I keep a 1/2 barrel sanke of PBR in the shop frig with a cobra tap and a #10 CO2 bottle. It is the lawnmower, yardwork, pool beer and at $59 a keg, it is cheap and easy.

It lets me concentrate on making ales.

All the kegs say Miller-I have never heard any of the nasty brewery stuff.

It's cheap because they have no overhead, or legacy costs, and they don't even have to advertise much.

+1 on not having tried the New Schlitz yet.

Back