Never had a blow off, am I doing something wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhlyanPan

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of threads lately about blow offs and blow off tubes. I've made about 6 batches now and never had one. Am I doing something wrong? How come I've never had the krausen come shooting out of my fermenter?

For the record, my brews so far have all been extract and a few have had specialty grains. I normally use a regular 5 gal primary and a carboy for secondary (if needed). I ferment anywhere from 58-70 (my basement isn't heated so it goes up and down depending on the season).

No, count yourself lucky you don't have to clean up a mess....I've only had one...and that was from pitching on a yeast cake...I've done it other times and not needed it...

Relax....

Your beers are fine.

:D

I think we've only had a couple in almost 5 years of brewing that needed a blow off because we just don't make styles that seem to produce giant krausen. If I ever get around to brewing a hefe or wheat, I expect I will have to put a tube on my primary.

However, if you really want to expericence a explosion, use a 5 gallon carboy as your primary. Had a brain fart once and tossed a new brew on some yeast in a 5 gallon carboy. That was fun! :D

my first needed one...fortunaltely i use one verytime. dont get too comfortable.. it doesnt hurt to use one and it is safer to do so.

I am a newbie (6 batches) but would recommend it to everyone. not worth the risk of not using one.

To restate what others have said, you do NOT want to have a blowoff! :)

You waste beer, it's a pain to cleanup and in IMO, it means I did something wrong. :) It has something to do with the grain bill and type of yeast... and maybe the moon alignment.

That being said, it can happen. It's not a bad idea to have a blowoff tube handy, just in case... even if you never use it. It may just save you a frantic trip to the hardware store late Sunday evening.

11txsp1.jpg

When you say you've never had a blowoff, do you mean you've never had a blowoff DISASTER, or you've never even had krausen overflow into a blowoff tube/container? Because I brewed a Mild this weekend and didn't get any krausen overflow at all, but this is the first beer in the last 10 that this has been the case. I ferment in 6 gal better bottles and I always get overflow. Always. I can't use a regular airlock for at least 3 to 4 days. My basement is a consistent 66 degrees.

I ferment in 7.5 gallon ale pails, and I've had only one fermentation that needed a blow-off tube. I usually ferment fairly low gravity beers, and rarely use wheat. The one blow off I had was mostly my fault- pitched a bit too warm in the summer, with a wheat beer and close to 6 gallons of wort.

I usually ferment on the cool side of the yeast strain's desired temperatures, and most of my fermentations are slow and steady.

It has something to do with the grain bill and type of yeast... and maybe the moon alignment.
[/IMG]

+1

That's what happened to me after adding too much DME to a recipe so I could have better malt taste and a good head. Well the good head came out of the fermenter all right!

However, if you really want to expericence a explosion, use a 5 gallon carboy as your primary. Had a brain fart once and tossed a new brew on some yeast in a 5 gallon carboy. That was fun!
Aside from my first couple of batches with food grade buckets, all I've ever used to ferment are carboys (usually 5 gal). I almost always have a blowoff but it's never a disaster it just dirties up a 1" hose and a quart container.
You waste beer, it's a pain to cleanup and in IMO, it means I did something wrong.
When I started brewing I believed that blowoff was a good thing and I thought that if I DIDN'T get a blowoff that I had done something wrong. Now I've changed my view on that but to be honest I still prefer a quick start and a blowoff (I STILL tend to think I did something wrong if I don't have blowoff within 12 hours or so of pitching). It wastes very little beer and the cleanup is just a hose and a quart container. However, if you put a 5 gal. batch in a 6 gal. carboy there's probably too much headspace and the krausen won't reach the neck of the bottle (my Vienna Lager didn't blowoff because it's in a 6 gal. carboy...nice krausen though).

A blowoff can change the flavor of the beer...probably in more ways than I realize. For one thing it shoots hop material up and out or sticks it to the glass above the beer level and that has to affect the flavor to some degree.

EDIT: One last thing - In my limited experience, the amount of dissolved O2 in the wort has a big effect on blowoff (and quick starts). Once I started aerating the **** outta my cooled worts blowoffs became the norm...before that...not so much.

When you say you've never had a blowoff, do you mean you've never had a blowoff DISASTER, or you've never even had krausen overflow into a blowoff tube/container? .

I mean I don't get any overflow at all. I've always used an airlock from the moment I put the top on till the moment I rack to secondary or the bottling bucket.

I'm wondering if aeration might be one of the reasons. I've never done anything but the 'ol shake it for a bit method so that could be part of the reason. Either way, I'm not real concerned about it. My beers taste fine to me so that's what matters.

I'm wondering if aeration might be one of the reasons. I've never done anything but the 'ol shake it for a bit method so that could be part of the reason.
You can't over-aerate your wort...it's difficult for us to even get the max amount. Just as a test...next couple of brews you do make an extra effort to really aerate the **** out of it. And only aerate it after it's cool...it actually could be counter-productive if you do it when the wort is warm (because you're not oxygenating it effectively and the warmth aids the 'bad' oxidation). Cold/cool water or beer holds way more gas (whether it's O2 or CO2) than warm/hot.

EDIT: I'm sure it's been beaten like a dead horse but since it's important I'm gonna start another thread on wort aeration.

You can't over-aerate your wort...it's difficult for us to even get the max amount. Just as a test...next couple of brews you do make an extra effort to really aerate the **** out of it. And only aerate it after it's cool...it actually could be counter-productive if you do it when the wort is warm (because you're not oxygenating it effectively and the warmth aids the 'bad' oxidation). Cold/cool water or beer holds way more gas (whether it's O2 or CO2) than warm/hot.

EDIT: I'm sure it's been beaten like a dead horse but since it's important I'm gonna start another thread on wort aeration.

Here you go. You can start your new thread with this:

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

When you say you've never had a blowoff, do you mean you've never had a blowoff DISASTER, or you've never even had krausen overflow into a blowoff tube/container? Because I brewed a Mild this weekend and didn't get any krausen overflow at all, but this is the first beer in the last 10 that this has been the case. I ferment in 6 gal better bottles and I always get overflow. Always. I can't use a regular airlock for at least 3 to 4 days. My basement is a consistent 66 degrees.

+1 - I ferment in 6 gallon BB's and I get blowoff almost every batch.
I wish they made a 6.5 gallon BB (or even better 7 gal).

I've only brewed 9 batches so far but I use extract and my method has been relatively consistent. I use 6 gal Better Bottles. Once I started aerating the cooled wort better (shaking violently for 3-4 minutes) I noticed higher krausen (almost overflowing the 6 gal bottle).

The first time I switched from Wheat LME to Wheat DME, I had massive blowoff (continued nonstop for over 24 hours). Same problem using 2 different yeast strains, so I am convinced it was the Wheat DME that ultimately caused it.

I agree with Spanishcastle that blowoff could change the flavor of the beer. I am not saying I am going to dump this batch or even that I won't enjoy it, just saying that I don't like variables I cannot control. I tasted the foam that came out and there was a ton of bitterness in it (so bitter it was unbearable, same with both yeasts and recipes.)

There was also a very significant amount of yeast culture that ended up outside the bottle. I reuse my yeast, so I am concerned that this could reduce the less flocculant yeast from the brew. I have no clue whether that matters or not, but I cannot imagine that it lends itself to consistency.

So I have decided to go back to using 6lbs LME + 1 lb DME for now (unless the all DME batches turn out to be noticeably better somehow).

Ya I have never had to use a blow off tube either. I have also not ever pitched a batch on yeast cake which I want to do this weekend. So I m going to get some tubing just in case.

You waste beer, it's a pain to cleanup and in IMO, it means I did something wrong. :) It has something to do with the grain bill and type of yeast... and maybe the moon alignment.

Just as not having a blowoff doesn't mean you did anything wrong, having a blowoff *certainly* doesn't mean you've done anything wrong.

In my experience, it has more to do with the yeast strain than anything. For me, some don't blowoff and some do. Gravity also affects it for me. But really some yeasts just don't blowoff for me and some do. And for the record, I use pure O2 every time and generally ferment between 65 and 68 and I usually have about 20-21 liters of beer in a 25 liter Demijohn.

So when using this blow off tube, should I just put the wort on the yeast cake and then put the blow off tube right in the carboy? Should I wait and put the airlock on and see what happens? This is where I dont know what the next step is...

Yeah, you are being exceptionally lucky. :)

I dont like having to use blow offs personally cause its a pain to have to change the airlocks and then monitor it to make sure its still happy etc. As of late, I have been rigging the blow off as a precaution whether its necessary or not.
Them yeasties are known to throw a wild party every now and again. Throw some alcohol into the picture and they can get out of control. ;)

+1 - I ferment in 6 gallon BB's and I get blowoff almost every batch.
I wish they made a 6.5 gallon BB (or even better 7 gal).

I put 5.25 -5.5 gallon batches in a 6gallon BB, ferment cool, and use a starter. I need a blow off every single time. I never lose beer, but I do lose about 10-20ml of krausen.

I would buy a 6.5 or 7gallon BB for double the price. I get tired of using a blow-off tube every time.

Eric

I orig posted itt about a year ago. Now I try to get the level in the carboy to where it just barely doesn't blow-off...or just barely blows-off (either is fine). I want all the brown gunk either out of the fermenter (blow-off) or stuck to the top 'cone' of the carboy (just barely not blowing-off) so I don't have it falling back into the beer. Yeast strain and ferm temp make a big difference.

I also switched to a carboy cap with a SS thermowell from stirplates.com. I cut off some of the second, angled port of the cap and attach a 3/8" ID plastic tube to it. Very simple, easy and works well as long as you're putting fairly clear wort in the fermentor (that port in the carboy cap could get clogged quite easily).

I also switched to a carboy cap with a SS thermowell from stirplates.com. I cut off some of the second, angled port of the cap and attach a 3/8" ID plastic tube to it. Very simple, easy and works well as long as you're putting fairly clear wort in the fermentor (that port in the carboy cap could get clogged quite easily).

I do pretty much the same thing from the sounds of it. I use one of those orange carboy caps. Into the center tube, I put a ss racking cane which goes into a bucket for blowoff. The other stem/hole on the carboy cap has been shortened by cutting it and the thermal well goes into there. Works great. I don't have debris in my beer going into the fermenter though.

Generally people who need to use blowoffs are using smaller fermentation vessels (carboys). Those of us using the 7g buckets generally don't have to.

Sounds similar Matt. If I was unclear, the wort going into my carboy is either strained or whirlpooled (depending on which kettle I use) so it is very clear. Even so I was concerned the first time I used it, still thought it might clog. But I've done a few brews using Nottingham (notorius blower-offer) and no problems.

I just wanted to use the shape of the carboy to my advantage to keep the brown gunk out of the beer. I would assume the same with your demijohns...except I've never seen a demijohn.:D

Sounds similar Matt. If I was unclear, the wort going into my carboy is either strained or whirlpooled (depending on which kettle I use) so it is very clear. Even so I was concerned the first time I used it, still thought it might clog. But I've done a few brews using Nottingham (notorius blower-offer) and no problems.

I just wanted to use the shape of the carboy to my advantage to keep the brown gunk out of the beer. I would assume the same with your demijohns...except I've never seen a demijohn.:D

This is a 25 liter demijohn, with my first beer brewed in Croatia in it. Only 16 liters in there though (Wyeast 1056 there). This was before I bought a thermal well, so it's not as we discussed in this particular picture.

DSC05352_540.jpg

With my system, I put the blowoff into an empty bucket for the first 24-48 hours or something and cover that bucket with foil. Most of the time I have 20-22 liters in that demijohn and it doesn't usually blowoff. I'd say maybe 4 out of the 13 beers I've brewed here in Croatia have blown off. Once I reach the 24-48 hour mark if it doesn't look like I need a blowoff anymore, I put an airlock into the carboy cap.

I get it nearly every brew...well needing a tube and tank, not the messy ceiling kind

Especially since I started O2 aerating and using my stir plate on starters.

Probably doesn't help I brew 5.5g in 6g better bottles either...I really need to get them US Plastics jugs.

Only ever had one case of krausen pushing through the airlock, and that was for a witbier. But the worst mess I ever cleaned up was from an old bomber bottle that my buddy pulled out of storage. It was a 1-year-old fruit beer of some kind (probably wit), and when he opened it, it geysered clear up to the light fixture. I would have been pissed if I wasn't rolling on the floor laughing at him.

I use to get blowoffs pretty frequently when I didn't have good temp control. Now that I can control and usually on the lower side of the yeasts range, I never have troubles.

Only ever had one case of krausen pushing through the airlock, and that was for a witbier. But the worst mess I ever cleaned up was from an old bomber bottle that my buddy pulled out of storage. It was a 1-year-old fruit beer of some kind (probably wit), and when he opened it, it geysered clear up to the light fixture. I would have been pissed if I wasn't rolling on the floor laughing at him.

LMAO Thanks, you just made my day :mug:

So when using this blow off tube, should I just put the wort on the yeast cake and then put the blow off tube right in the carboy? Should I wait and put the airlock on and see what happens? This is where I dont know what the next step is...

if you're pitching on a yeast cake (per your previous post) and you're not going to be around to check on it everycouple of hours, put the blow off tube in place. I think I pitch and appropriate amount of yeast and the only time I get a blow off (fermenting 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy) is when I've pitched on a yeast cake.

Last time it happened, when I left for work the airlock was gurgling like a happy baby....when I got home from work, foam was spewing into the airlock. Pulled the airlock to install a blow off tube and the happy baby pissed porter all over my ceiling!

I had a massive blow off once (twice actually on the same fermenter) with a Kolsch. Plastic Ale pail with an airlock. I immediately changed to a blow off. I use 5/8 tubing for my Ale Pails, and 1" for my carboys.

In the last year, I have had 5 instances where the gunk was flying out of the fermenters. I have temp control too...

1 Kolsch, 1 Strong Ale (S-04), 1 ESB (1056), and 2 RyePA (Bavarian 3056)

Below is the ESB...

another.jpg

I have only had two blowoffs the first was 5.5 gallons of brown ale in a 7 gallon SS conical temp was an even 66° The other was 5 gallons of Saison in a 6 gallon BB temp was mid 80's .

I never have had one since I went with using kegs and 15 gallon jugs from USplastics for fermentation. I brew 10 gallons exclusively now.

Whatever...

There, you have been officially blown off now.

Dont say I never gave you anything.

It seems to be very strain dependent for me. WLP037, WLP530, WLP013 all produce massive krausen and blow off routinely for me. In parcticular WLP530 will blow off even with Fermcap and low fermentation temperatures, it's like yeast on crack. :D

well it looks like I spoke too soon. As soon as I thought I would never have a blow off again it happens. I have an airlock on and opened up the freezer this morning to find krauzen oozing out the airlock. That is as far as it got before I caught it but still, the beer temp was 61 and this was with US05 so I guess I can throw that theory out the window :)

well it looks like I spoke too soon. As soon as I thought I would never have a blow off again it happens. I have an airlock on and opened up the freezer this morning to find krauzen oozing out the airlock. That is as far as it got before I caught it but still, the beer temp was 61 and this was with US05 so I guess I can throw that theory out the window :)
After having that exact same thing happen I decided to just put the blow off tube on every time. Like a gun or condom, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

With my bigger beers I pitch plenty of yeast and always have a blowoff. I've pitched a 1.053 or so beer on a yeast cake and it took off within a couple hours, didn't blowoff though.

I use to get blowoffs pretty frequently when I didn't have good temp control. Now that I can control and usually on the lower side of the yeasts range, I never have troubles.

My room is a steady 65 and my big beers are out of control. Foaming out the blowoff bottle. They are always at the 5gal mark btw.

Latest posts

Back