Nelson Sauvin hops- 2 ounces only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I find myself with two ounces of nelson sauvin hops. I have no idea how or why- but there they are, in the freezer, in the original packaging.

Now, what to do with them? The description is "white wine" like. What will mix well with them, since I normally do 10 gallon batches and 2 ounces isn't enough to do a SMaSH or a pale ale with them as flavoring or aroma alone.

Sorachi Ace is great with Nelson. I've drank a commercial beer with that combo, but I can't remember what it was. Also, I would think Amarillo would go well with.

Nelson and Galaxy play well together in an IPA. You could make a Galaxy IPA and dry hop with the 2oz of Nelson and I think it'd be great. Amarillo would also work. My favorite personal use of Nelson has been as a dry hop in a Brett Berliner. Fantastic grapey/dank character that works well with the acidity and the funk. For that reason I think the Sorachi Ace combo sounds good as well, great finishing for a saison.

I just put together a quick experimental tripel with 2 ozs. I've probably gone over the top with the spices, but the sample I took at 1 week tasted really great:

5.25 lbs Briess Pilsner LME
0.6 ozs Nelson Sauvin Hops at 30
0.6 ozs Nelson Sauvin Hops at 10
0.6 ozs Nelson Sauvin Hops at 0 (Hop stand at 175 F for 30 minutes)

Zest of 2 oranges
0.2 ozs ground coriander
2 grams grains of paradise
Spices split in two, and added at 15 and 5 minutes to go.

3 cans of Welch frozen 100% white grape concentrate (11.5 ozs x 3) added to fermenter.

Ithica (Ground Break) Belgian yeast. Slurry from a previous batch. I do not know the origins of the Ithica yeast, but it is definitely Belgian. It is what I had on hand, ready to go.

OG estimate 1.085 (Calculated from ingredients - wort/must too low in fermenter to take a sample).
FG - looking to finish somewhere around 1.008 for 10% abv.
IBUs - 35

Nelson and simcoe are fantastic together!

Edit: in an IPA or pale ale!

Personally, I like Nelson Sauvin in my amber ale, about half an ounce for bittering and half for aroma, it works great to create a complex flavor with the amber ale; a 10 gallon batch would only need 2 oz.

I have done both an Sasison and an APA with them as finishing hops. I get more of a tropical fruit flavor out of them.

Back