NEIPL?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djangotet

Reaction score
I have a NEIPA recipe put together and I’m just curious if there is any way to lager this style and get great results? I know that IPL is a solid style of beer. Is there any yeast that still creates those tropical esters in this range? If you make a IPA with only whirlpool/ dry hops then it’s still a NEIPA right? Even without that expected yeast character?

Sure, you can make a hazy lager. But it won't be a NEIPA or any kind of IPA. And if you want, you can crank up the temperature to force extra ester production. Then it will be a hazy, estery lager. But why?

The main defining characteristic of lager yeast is the fact that they don't really produce any esters when fermented at their proper temperatures.

It's perfectly possible to lager heavily dry hopped beers for around 1 month (especially if kegged) with little to no loss of hop flavour (I frequently do with my strong DIPA/TIPA beers to mellow them out a bit as they'll often have 500g+ of hops in them) but I'm struggling to see what you're hoping to achieve here.

A decent middle ground might be using a Kolsch yeast, they can do some interesting fruit esters at conventional fermentation temperatures and are designed to be cold lagered before serving.

Back