NEIPA Wyeast 1318 Early Dry hopping schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
I brewed a NEIPA and wanted to early dry hop for "biotransformation." I may have jumped the gun, I brewed Saturday, pitched ~ 10am. I tossed my first round of dry hops in this moring on top of a high krausen. So, about 48 hours in.

Now I'm reading it maybe should have been done when gravity is ~ 1.016-1.20? I misplaced my wine thief so I don't know my gravity. Anyone have experience with early dry hopping Hazy IPAs - or guesses of what my Wyeast 1318 gravity is at 48 hours? I used a 2L starter and it seemed to take off pretty fast and I was actually cleaning up a blowoff mess when I decided to toss the first round of hops.

Also - any advice on my next dry hop charge? In a few days or in the keg? Thanks

Dry hopping at high krausen may be a little too early. I usually wait for the very trail end of fermentation, with around 10-15% to go, or when it has slowed down quite a bit.

WY1318 can be a fast fermenter, especially with a large, healthy pitch, like yours. Depending on your ferm temps, she may have been mostly done already.

But when in a hurry (are you?) I've had very good results from dry hopping before krausen had (totally) fallen. This one set a record for me: 3 Day IPA

I misplaced my wine thief so I don't know my gravity.
I suck-siphon hydrometer samples with a 2' piece of skinny 1/4" or 5/16" OD tubing, through the airlock hole. I'm using buckets, so I can get samples that way without opening the lid. :D

Dry hopping at high krausen may be a little too early. I usually wait for the very trail end of fermentation, with around 10-15% to go, or when it has slowed down quite a bit.

WY1318 can be a fast fermenter, especially with a large, healthy pitch, like yours. Depending on your ferm temps, she may have been mostly done already.

But when in a hurry (are you?) I've had very good results from dry hopping before krausen had (totally) fallen. This one set a record for me: 3 Day IPA

Thanks, I was at 68F. I could use my auto-siphon I guess, but I might just let 'er ride. What do you think about my second dryhop charge?

Thanks, I was at 68F. I could use my auto-siphon I guess, but I might just let 'er ride. What do you think about my second dryhop charge?
Just do your best to prevent air (O2) ingress while taking samples to avoid oxidation, especially with hoppier beers.
During active fermentation, the small amount of O2 that gets in when dry hopping or taking a sample from a carboy will get diluted/purged by fermentation CO2. But when fermentation slows down, flushing the headspace with CO2 is probably the best countermeasure. There are other methods.

3-5 five days before packaging is generally the best time for (the final) dry hop.
I dry hop for 2-3 days before kegging. I also apply periodic agitation, stirring once or twice a day with the back end of my long plastic brew spoon through a stoppered 1" access hole in the bucket lid, while streaming in CO2 through the airlock stem. Then purge/flush the headspace a few times for all security.

Just do your best to prevent air (O2) ingress while taking samples to avoid oxidation, especially with hoppier beers.
During active fermentation, the small amount of O2 that gets in when dry hopping or taking a sample from a carboy will get diluted/purged by fermentation CO2. But when fermentation slows down, flushing the headspace with CO2 is probably the best countermeasure. There are other methods.

3-5 five days before packaging is generally the best time for (the final) dry hop.
I dry hop for 2-3 days before kegging. I also apply periodic agitation, stirring once or twice a day with the back end of my long plastic brew spoon through a stoppered 1" access hole in the bucket lid, while streaming in CO2 through the airlock stem. Then purge/flush the headspace a few times for all security.
Thanks, I don't know why I'm thinking the second dry hop would be any different than a normal IPA. The first "bio-hop" just kind of threw me.

Latest posts

Back