NEIPA Shelf Life Dry Hopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
Currently have a NEIPA fermenting under pressure and the one thing I always forget when I ferment under pressure is how damn fast it goes! Anyways I have a party in exactly a month that this beer is to be servered at. My plan was to dump the hops into the serving keg during the force carb period. I have heard NEIPAs don't fair well with time so I'm wonder if I am to drop the hops in the keg in the next few days if I am going to be out of luck flavor and auroma benfits wise a month from now?

As a side note I don't like waiting to long after fermenting to force carb and don't want to open the keg back up after that process begins.

Currently have a NEIPA fermenting under pressure and the one thing I always forget when I ferment under pressure is how damn fast it goes! Anyways I have a party in exactly a month that this beer is to be servered at. My plan was to dump the hops into the serving keg during the force carb period. I have heard NEIPAs don't fair well with time so I'm wonder if I am to drop the hops in the keg in the next few days if I am going to be out of luck flavor and auroma benfits wise a month from now?

As a side note I don't like waiting to long after fermenting to force carb and don't want to open the keg back up after that process begins.

Boy, that's a great question. I'd probably leave it where it is, safe from oxidation and at a good temperature. Then keg it and dryhop just long enough to get it carbonated before the big day. I find the sweet spot for dryhopping NE IPAs is 3-5 days, but you may find it different when keg hopping and carbonated at the same time.

Thanks for the reply! I may try and carb in the primary then transfer to a secondary with hops a week before the party.

Honestly if you’re extremely careful about oxygen uptake and purge your kegs well then there’s no reason to anticipate aroma degradation. I’ve found most of the yeast flocs out after 3-4 weeks and you’ll lose some mouthfeel from that process, but you can always agitate the keg to add more haze. Just make sure the beer is kept COLD (not cool), because temperature fluctuations are really what drives the aroma out.

Back