Need to make 2 starters but only 1 stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
So I am making a 10gal batch which will require more than the 1- 2Liter starter I have made in the past.
I dont have the time to order another stir plate before brew day and buying them locally is too expensive (online -$24, locally - $80)
So I was going to pick up another 2L flask and a second stir magnet, start them both and manually stir one while the other is on the plate, then switch them out every once in awhile.
Do you guys think this should work? I mean I wont be babysitting these cause I work all day but during the afternoon-evenings I should have no problem manually swirling one of them every 30 min to an hour or so.
Plan on starting them tonight - Brew day is Saturday.

Should work fine. I don't even use stir plates. Just stir manually a bit every now and again when I make starters. Works just fine.

Great idea!

If you have any Fermcap-S, use a drop of it when boiling the starter wort.
It will prevent most blow-off while off the plate. Or keep a close eye on it.

Before using a stir plate, I've lost many a starter to the countertop, always overnight. ;(

Dont have any Fermcap-S - checked the price and a 10oz bottle is almost $50 at my local supply store - OUCH.

Thanks for the replies.

1 more question. If I am making 2 starters same size using same ingredients. Can I just double the water and dme and split between the two flasks?

Why would you not let one go for 20 hours and then crash, while you start the next? Same yeast, just one has a bit more lead time than the other....

Timing. Would there be a problem if one didnt stir for the full 24 hrs?

I have done that. I think I switched them on the stir plate after a few hours. there are legitimate arguments not to use a stir plate at all

Use a gallon jug, used it many times before buying a few 5l flasks. If your yeast if fresh, I’d do the Shake not Stir method. When my yeast isn’t fresh, I’d do it in a glass gallon.

If I read correctly, both are for one beer. Why not make one double sized starter? I use gallon jugs myself, on my home made stir plate.

Dont have any Fermcap-S - checked the price and a 10oz bottle is almost $50 at my local supply store - OUCH.

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, that's totally ridiculous. A small, one oz (?) squeeze bottle ran me $6 at my LHBS.

You'd only use one drop per gallon (or fraction of gallon). Chances are that single bottle lasts over 10 years even if you make starters weekly.

Needs to be stored refrigerated, and not allowed to freeze, I read somewhere.

Back