Need some advice on a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeknere

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I brewed an Octoberfest. It was an extract plus grains recipe and used Wyeast 2112. I decided at the last minute (the yeast had already been pitched) that I was going to make this my first attempt at a lager since my better bottle fits into my kegerator. Looking back this was a mistake.

I did my best to regulate temps, used a thermometer in a cup of water in the fridge to try and gauge the temps. I should have taken into account the volume difference (duh!:drunk:). My thermometer read 52 pretty consistently, so I left the temp where it was. It was only until I took a hydro reading last week that I realized I had actually fermented at 65 ish - perfectly fine for an ale, but not for what I was trying to do. Not thinking, I dropped the temp down in the fridge, plugged the fermentor and let it sit thinking, (for who knows what reason) that the yeast will continue to work. I checked the gravity tonight and have come to the conclusion that I have pretty much brewed an ale and have been cold crashing for the last week or so. My gravity is sitting at 1.023, and has been since I checked it last week. My main question is whether or not this is because

1.) I have been "cold crashing"
2.) The 1.020 curse has struck again
3.) the beer is finished

The beer tastes fine, a little heavy and a bit bitter, but nothing that I'm worried about. I'm wondering if the most logical step would be:

1.) Let it sit at the same temp its at and keg in a few weeks
2.) bring the temp back up and see if the yeast kicks up
3.) pitch some dry yeast
4.) to just keg it and enjoy it.

Needless to say that I've learned my lesson and will no longer try to lager on the fly. I've since done my research and am excited to try the correct process next time, but I would greatly appreciate any thoughts that you all may have to help me out with this batch.

Thanks in advance!

Keg and enjoy. Lesson learned.

2 or 3 weeks at cold temps will clear it greatly, but other than that it won't change much. Also, time in bottle changes the character greatly of many of my beers. I don't keg so I can't comment on that, but you might also see improvement after putting gas onto it.

Back