Need recipes: PM Dunkelweizen and Fat Tire Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There are lots of recipes around, and I can convert from Extract or AG to PM (thank you BeerSmith), but I'm looking for recipes from actual people who have actually brewed.

I would like a Dunkelweizen and a mildly hopped amber ale (that doesn't really need to taste like Fat Tire).

I've done a PM version of the one from Brewing Classic Styles and it turned out well.

5 lbs wheat DME
3 lbs 2 row
3 lbs wheat malt
1 lb crystal 40
8 oz special b
8 oz carapils
2 oz carafa III

2 oz Hallertau for 60 minutes

This is really an extract with specialty grains, but I liked the way it turned out.

6 lbs wheat LME
8 oz Munich malt
8 oz Vienna malt
8 oz Crystal 65L

1 oz Hallertauer Herzbrucker at 60 min

WLP300 Hefeweizen yeast

Steep grains at 155 F for 30 minutes

The Fat Tire recipe in, oh, I think the book titled "Clone Brews" is pretty good. Between me and my brew buddy, we did a couple batches. Don't have book in front of me, but would cut down on the hevier crystal/roast amounts in the recipe a little. There are a couple of recipes on here, just search for them. I think Dude and Yooperbrew have good recipes many have brewed up.

I've done a PM version of the one from Brewing Classic Styles and it turned out well.

5 lbs wheat DME
3 lbs 2 row
3 lbs wheat malt
1 lb crystal 40
8 oz special b
8 oz carapils
2 oz carafa III

2 oz Hallertau for 60 minutes

I'm getting ready to do a dunkelweizen, and the recipe I'm using is similar to this, but instead of the 2 row it calls for munich malt.

For a partial mash, does the munich malt have the enzymes needed to mash the speciality grains? Thanks,

Jim

My favorite PM Dunkelweizen recipe, hands down:

3 lbs Wheat Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
Mash at 150-152°F

3 lbs Wheat DME

~0.75 ounces tettnanger, hallartau or other german hop at 60 minutes (10-15 IBU)

WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast

EDIT: For a more traditional dunkelweizen, you could replace the chocolate with a couple ounces of Carafa II, but I find the chocolate is very subtle and tasty.

My favorite PM Dunkelweizen recipe, hands down:

3 lbs Wheat Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
Mash at 150-152°F

3 lbs Wheat DME

~0.75 ounces tettnanger, hallartau or other german hop at 60 minutes (10-15 IBU)

WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast

EDIT: For a more traditional dunkelweizen, you could replace the chocolate with a couple ounces of Carafa II, but I find the chocolate is very subtle and tasty.

Thanks. Actually I was looking for this one. I knew you had posted it, but I couldn't find it by searching.

Can't help with dunkelweizen but if you are after Fat Tire go to the HBA GreenBored and look up "Flat Ass Tired" an excellent recipe written by a good friend of mine.

here's my dunkel. the best beer I've made, and it was my 3rd batch.

crunkel:

6oz crystal 60
2oz chocolate wheat
~2oz of Roasted barley
2 1/4 oz cara-pils

3# bag of muntons dry wheat
3# liquid amber extract

1/2oz pearle (8.25) for 60 min

WLP 400 belgian wit ale.

All the grains get smashed with a kitchen roller, then put in a bag and steeped in 3 gallons up to 170. Drain, and continue to heat water. Add extract and hops, then boil 60min

cool and pitch.

That may be a fantastic beer, but with that amber extract and wit yeast, i wouldn't call it a dunkelweizen. I made a black wit once that was great and recently brewed a strong one called Black Mass (made it on christmas) that i'm going to keg this weekend.

Here's an amber that I've done a couple of times with a mild hop presence. It's an 11 gal recipe.

2 Row 20.5 lbs
Victory 7 oz.
Munich 10 oz.
Biscuit 5 oz.
Carmel 80 3 oz.

Northern Brewer 1.5 oz @ 60 min
Hell/Hers 1 oz @ 15 min
Williamette .5 oz. @ 5 min

S 05 2 x 11 gram.

:mug:

Back