Fat Tire - New Belgium ditches classic recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True, there’s so much available now, plus our own, that the loss is more in the nostalgia than anything else, but still. It sucks.

Fat Tire was my introduction to craft beer, at a monumental time in my life. Lots of memories around that beer. It just hits hard. I couldn’t even bring myself to try it.
I completely agree with the statement about there being other stuff available. Just in my area, within a 20 minute drive there are 3 breweries that have really nice patio areas with a full array of beers. I have found a few of the bigger ones I like, Racer 7 (new to me, hazy IPA, and a Sierra Nevada hazy as well), between those, the locals and my own, I am not really missing much. When and if I move to Oregon, there is Wild Ride brewing that makes a really nice Pale and Cascade Lakes that has a great Pils and a really good IPA. I don't see myself really missing out. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!!

The two bolded statements have a lot to do with each other.
All good points. However, New Belgium has "adapted" by becoming a different brewery with a different lineup lol, I'm not sure if that's a good way to hang on to their old audience, but maybe they don't care to - but I guess new ownership will do that sometimes. And I wonder if the trends (hazies, milk shake beers, etc) that force these changes become somewhat of a feedback loop where the rush to jump on the trend becomes bigger than the demand. Just thinking out loud at this point. But I know that there are many local breweries who offer a wide lineup and have something for everyone, and even specialize in styles that bigger breweries won't touch much (like traditional English styles), i think you referenced some of these points. So yeah, we're just kind of being nostalgic when really the craft beer scene still looks pretty good, especially locally - which i think is a very good trend.

Latest posts

Back