Need Help with Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WooHokie

Reaction score
So I'm still a total noob. Only working on my 4th batch. I want to brew a recipe out of the Palmer book Brewing Classic Recipes.

I'm looking to do Janet's Brown Ale. I want to go to my LHBS and pick out the ingredients, but I'm confused on how to scale the recipe for a partial boil.
The book gives instructions for a 7 gallon boil but my set up only allows me to do about 2.5-3.

Can someone please help me scale this recipe back? I'm at work and don't have the book with me unfortunately or else I would post the ingredients.

So I'm still a total noob. Only working on my 4th batch. I want to brew a recipe out of the Palmer book Brewing Classic Recipes.

I'm looking to do Janet's Brown Ale. I want to go to my LHBS and pick out the ingredients, but I'm confused on how to scale the recipe for a partial boil.
The book gives instructions for a 7 gallon boil but my set up only allows me to do about 2.5-3.

Can someone please help me scale this recipe back? I'm at work and don't have the book with me unfortunately or else I would post the ingredients.

If you're doing a 5 gallon batch, use the same ingredients. You'll just boil less- I think Jamil has instructions in an earlier chapter on how to do it. But you use the same ingredients, hops, yeast, and so on. You just don't use as much water in the beginning, if your pot is too small.

Thanks for the advice. I guess what I'm concerned about is the steeping grains. They are telling me to steep like 5lbs of grains. Doesn't that mean I would need to steep in like 9 gallons of water?

You say to multiply by .43 for a 3 gallon batch. What about a 5 gallon batch?

Sounds like a lot of grain to steep. What grains?

John Palmer recommends "1 lb. in 1 gal at 160°F for 30 minutes"

For 5 gallon batch multiply by .71

Thanks for the advice. I guess what I'm concerned about is the steeping grains. They are telling me to steep like 5lbs of grains. Doesn't that mean I would need to steep in like 9 gallons of water?

You say to multiply by .43 for a 3 gallon batch. What about a 5 gallon batch?

You can steep in far less water- as little as a quart of water per pound of grain, or as much as two quarts of water per pound of grain. So don't worry!

Back