Need help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSpook

Reaction score
So here is what I was thinking for my first batch of mead.

I recently got a bunch of honey from my in laws who own a bunch of hives in northern michigan. Since we will be there for new Years this year I want to make something with it that we can take to celebrate the new year with. After reading around I figured a quick dry mead with the addition of raspberrys and bottled in chapange bottles would be good. here is my initial recipe, let me know your thoughts/input as I have never done this before

For a 5 gallon batch.

10lbs honey
3lbs pureed raspberries (into secondary)
1pk Wyeast 4632
nutrient

I will heat 2.5 gallons of water to 110F and add honey to dissolve. pour into primary and top off to 5g with cold water. Add nutrient and give it a shake.
Pitch yeast when temp is within range.

Primary 3 weeks, rack to secondary on top of raspberries and sit for 2 months or until clear. bottle in champagne bottles and age until New Years eve.

What do you think? Any/all input is appreciated... Thanks!

Brew,
Sounds like a good recipe. I have four mixes going right now. From my experience so far you will be longer in primary for the full fermentation to take place, depending upon your yeast and mix. I have had two bottles go six weeks of pretty strong fermentation before settling down. Best of brewing!

Back