Need help troubleshooting a purchased, previously used, PLC system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A friend bought a used PLC based brewery which is controlled via an EZ3 (see 2nd image below) from ezautomation.net. He's not sure the source of the code on the EZ3 and when it powers up there's a "PLC1: read error" (see 1st image below). Nothing responds on the touchscreen when the error message appears.

I am not at his brewery but he sent some pictures and I agreed to post on HBT to see if anyone had any troubleshooting ideas. The seller claims the system was working correctly the last time they used it.

9HOFl2E.jpg
ZIcQxhr.jpg

Last edited:
I think you have to work backwards from the system integrator that installed the code running on that PLC, because you're not going to get much help from the hardware manufacturer...

I think you have to work backwards from the system integrator that installed the code running on that PLC, because you're not going to get much help from the hardware manufacturer...
Thanks DT. He's contacted the system integrator and, I'm told, didn't get much help. I don't think he's trying to get support from the hardware manufacturer.

Ouch. I had dug into the background of that device and it's clear it's a blank slate platform that depends on integration to be a thing. If the integrator won't support the product I don't see a path forward...

Agreed...I once took a trip to Chicago to plug a cable all the way in. Its also got that ethernet cable going somewhere. Knowing nothing about that hardware it could be possible the communication was changed to use an ethernet network at some point. Really too hard to know what's going on from the limited info/pics.

In case its not clear, it appears to me that EZAutomation.net sold the hardware, they were probably not the system integrator so there's probably no chance EZAutomation.net can prove much of any support with the application even if paid--just not a service most equipment distributors are set up to provide. The system integrator who programmed this may have more information, but the whole industry is project-based. Their obligation was to whomever contracted them for the project and likely had a defined warranty and support period. If they are willing to get involved, they are going to want to get paid for any kind of engagement. And it could be that the person who programmed this is no longer there and someone needs to reverse engineer that person's work. That's not going to be a $49.99 service call.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I've sent the new owner a link to this thread so please post any other suggestions you think might help.

Just of interest, does that green LED ever turn on? And is there a flash card of some type plugged into that controller?
If there is a user community for that brewery controller system I'd reach into that and see what can be found.

Cheers!

Just of interest, does that green LED ever turn on? And is there a flash card of some type plugged into that controller?
If there is a user community for that brewery controller system I'd reach into that and see what can be found.

Cheers!
I will check.

Back