3V eRIMS + LPG system controller setup advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor80

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I have been fortunate enough to have the attached system come into my hands. My father made the frame and bought all the equipment but then other projects have gotten in his way so he passed this onto me. While he has done all the hard work I have had to put together the final plumbing system and controller.

My question is what would you do in terms of a control unit & functionality for this system...

System comprises of 3 x 95L nano brewery pots.
1 x HLT with 5000W + ability for LPG with under-slung burner.
1 x Mash with 2000W RIMS Tube (still to work out the best way to mount on this frame..) - Ability to tip grain out via the post sitting on a gimble.
1 x BK with 5000W + ability for LPG with under-slung burner. Again can be tipped out which is pretty neat.
3 x 25w Pumps ready to be used in any number of combinations!

I also have a 5500W keggle wtih controller for potential BIAB

Prior to inheriting this system I was going down the path of a 50L BIAB mainly to mess around on with a 5500W element and DIY PID controller with power controller such that I didn't trip my household system. Controller is pretty rough and ready with no contactors and relying on the fact I manage the power down such that I dont trip a GPO power circuit. having done many LPG 50L 3V Herms with my good mate im across a number of possible options with my new system. Which way to go...

1st thought was to setup a RIMS controller to start with such that I can just get brewing and figure the needs of the system out in due course. I can knock up a pretty straight forward control box with a PID controller, 2 switches (1 for pump in loop with other for RIMS element), 40A ssr with heat sink kicking around and a small box. Given the element is only 8.3Amps is there a need for contactors? Momentary push button switch is rated for 10+ Amps from memory.

2nd thought is to get a controller setup such that I can have functionality to do it all electric and just fire up the gas when I want to hurry things along. Given the time it takes on brew day I was also contemplating doing back to back brew (added complexity) and sharing kegs with friends. Ultimately this system is where I have a number of thoughts about how it could function....

How to ferment all this is my next conundrum. I also inherited a sanke keg which I was thinking about setting up as a pressure ferment with a cross fermenter kit.

I have 80amps single phase at the meter box. With a 50L BIAB controller and this system I am sure I could give 80amps a nudge if I turn everything on & pull out my hair dryer!

Currently I will be doing brews outdoors with a 12mth view that a shed extension will be complete and I could move the system indoors into a big garage and really set it up.

I reside in the sunny and warm region of Australia - not that it has too much affect on the system.

Appreciate any thoughts and feedback from other brewers out there.

Cheers,

Thor

Attachments

• PXL_20201101_064722963.jpg
    PXL_20201101_064722963.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20201101_064716418.jpg
    PXL_20201101_064716418.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20201101_064711862.jpg
    PXL_20201101_064711862.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16