need help to identify hop disease

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixelhussar

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I digged some young hop plants one and a half month ago. They grow nicely, some of them are more than a meter high by now.

Unfortunately they have been attacked by something. Could you please help me to identify this?

Thanks!

Kotcseikalanok-2870.jpg

Kotcseikalanok-2874.jpg

Kotcseikalanok-2875.jpg

Kotcseikalanok-2876.jpg

Kotcseikalanok-2878.jpg

The holes are from a insect not disease . Some insect dust ( Carbaryl aka Sevin) or organic insecticide will fix that. Make sure to treat the under side of the leaves as well as the top.

The yellowing is a nutrient issue most likely. Get a soil if you really want to fix it. Or , the lazy way that will work fine is a balanced fertilizer ( 10-10-10)

The other thing I noticed was the mulch . I would pull it back from around the stems a little. Most plants don't like being heavily mulched around the stem. Many plants will die from that alone!

Hopefully, this advice will get you on track for some great hops!

Yup, insect feeding on the leaves. May or may not require treatment. I also noticed the leaves look a little chlorotic as well. I agree a soil test would be a good idea but probably should have been done before now.

Typically you don't want to mulch heavily as the mulch (especially if you use wood chips) can form a "crust" and actually repel water from the soil. Straw makes a good garden mulch actually.

Back