Need Help Making Apple Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohan087

Reaction score
This is my first time brewing. So I am pretty confused with all the procedures and if I am getting them correctly. So I needed some help.

I got the instructions from some site on the internet.

Firstly I took an old Beer bottle as my containers for fermenting.
I washed it clean and also soaked it in boiling hot water for sterilization.
Unfortunately I am not very resourceful and it is hard to get chemicals for sanitizing where I am currently living.

I made a yeast starter for the wine using dry bread yeast. Again wine yeast not available where I am at. I took 2 teaspoons of dry bread yeast in luke warm water and added sugar. Kept it in an airtight container for 20 mins till it raised to double the actually level.

For wine I took packet apple juice. Ingredients on the pack said contains
1. Apple juice concentrate
2. Water

No preservatives or added flavour or colour
The liquid was transparent with a yellowish colour.

Now I added 2 teaspoons sugar to the liquid.
Poured the juice in the beer bottle added 1 cinimom stick 2 cloves 1 pepper
Shaked it well
Mixed yeast it the solution and cover with a balloon. Made a few holes in the balloon.

The balloon continued to stay upright. But just today fermentation has stopped. IT IS JUST 48 HOURS from the time I started fermentation.

The liquid colour has turned translucent milky white and is smelling awful.

Is there anything wrong in my process. Should I continue or start fresh?
Currently I have added another 4 teaspoons of sugar and started the process but I am a bit worried about the colour of the liquid.

Another thing is the beer bottle is not transparent but has a brown shaded glass. Can that be a problem?

Has the wine gone bad by any case??

Help!!

Thanks in advance

What amount of apple juice did you use? 2 cloves is a lot if you are fermenting a liter of juice. Bread yeast is not ideal for flavor but would work to produce alcohol.

I used 500ml of apple juice . This is my first try and i did not want to get messy. As mentioned earlier. The fermentaion had stopeed of I added 4 teaspoons of sugar again to restart he process. it worked But again it has stopped after another 48 hours

It is probably fermented to completion. Bread yeast works pretty fast. As to the taste, I can't say but I have tried 6 cloves in 4 liters and I felt that was too much. Let it rest for a couple of weeks and the flavor may improve. I've made soft drinks with bread yeast and they turned out tasting "bready"--fancy that.

Another problem with bread yeast is that it does not settle out of the solution very well, and you will probably have a cloudy drink. You could try cooling it down if you have a refrigerator (this is Mumbai yes?) but it will likely not settle as a beer or wine yeast would.

so what do I do next? Do I transfer it to a cleaner bottle? should I continue to use a balloon or seal the top ? I am from Mumbai but currently I am living in a village 300 kms from Mumbai. but I could always refrigerate it here.

I would let it settle out in the refrigerator for a few days and then carefully decant it into another bottle. I suppose then you could try to bottle condition it with perhaps 1/2 tsp sugar and cap it, keep it at 20C for a few days or weeks then cool it down and drink it. You might also look on line for a source for dried beer or wine yeast for your next experiment. Good luck!

Back